British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Chris 123

Hey guys

I buy this coin 10 years ago from auction and I want to know more details and how much worth now... thank you!!

chris

88697C24-8A39-4E39-BFB5-CEEFBF0B1B8F.png

B7DA2A9C-95C4-466E-B0BA-83C56D651200.png

I'll say it's ancient Greek based on the imagery - do you have some bigger photos?

athens tetradrachm, C500-400BC, £100-£200 if real

• Like 1

An E usually means Ephesos, but if confidently identified as Athens I won't argue.

1 hour ago, rpeddie said:

athens tetradrachm, C500-400BC, £100-£200 if real

“If real” is key here, there are more fakes than genuine of these about.

http://rg.ancients.info/owls/forgeries.html

For a start,  we need much better close-up photos. These pics are the sort of quality associated with less reliable EBay sellers.

Jerry

• Like 1

yea there are alot of fakes for this coin, have a look for soapy texture, cast lines around edges, bubbles in fields etc etc. but yea a better picture would do wonders 

Thank you very much!!! 

I try to upload few more pictures closer and more light 

From its appearance I would be suspicious of a cast coin I’m afraid. Let’s see what others think.

Jerry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jelida said:

From its appearance I would be suspicious of a cast coin I’m afraid. Let’s see what others think.

Jerry

A good starting point would be where at auction were they acquired? The opening line on this thread saying they were bought at auction 10 years ago, but now you want to know what they are and how much they are worth, doesn't bode well IMO. Nobody inadvertently buys a group of coins worth hundreds without having a clue what they are buying.

• Like 1

Surely if bought at auction then that auction description would be a good place to start if you’re looking for details 🤓

Was a small general auctions in Cyprus I don’t pay to much for this coins never mind I go to  check this coins to ancient auction... thank you very much!!!