British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Sword

Removing scratches from coin slabs

One way of removing scratches from coin slabs is breaking the slab. (Yes, I anticipated that response already)

But anyway, I have brought a retro watch (1950s design) recently and it has acrylic glass instead of the usual sapphire crystal glass. I brought some polywatch for two or three pounds so that I can polish out any scratches. (Very easy to use: you put a little of the paste on the watch glass and polish with a cotton wool pad. Repeat if necessary).

I tried it on a CGS slab and it worked quite well. A fairly deep scratch mark has almost disappeared in the process. But I understand that NGC use a harder plastic and might not work as well on their slabs. I have heard that some people have even tried toothpaste to remove scratches. 

• Like 1

I restore lots of old studio gear with lots of different plastic meter fronts etc.

- I find toothpaste is just too 'hard' - brasso works well, but try T-cut first

since it isn't designed to hammer the paint surface....