British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

StephenO

Weird Toning

I've recently noticed that a number of the silver coins in my collection have started to tone but, weirdly enough, only on one side. I keep them in blue-lined Linder trays and only a few of the coins seem to have affected  - 1902, 1911 and 1928 shillings (all Uncirculated) and a 1902 Maundy set, all of which I've had for years. The toning is a sort of gold colour and isn't unattractive but, as it's only on the obverse of each, it looks odd. The reverses show no sign of toning and neither do any of my other coins (so far, anyway). Does anyone have an explanation, please? Is it anything I should worry about and is there any way I can cure it if, that is, a cure's needed? 

They seem to have just toned due to the air , temperature or light as only the OBV which will happen and the reverse being flat it wont effect the same.

Are they in the light or covered up and if so can air get to them which may of even attracted damp or sweat ?

I remember seeing a collection at a dealers a couple of years years ago of half crowns that had been taken in by someone in a wooden cabinet and a lot of them were the same.

Its normal for coins to tone if just left open to the air or light but seems to be happening very quickly.

Thanks for the reply. The coin tray has a 'smoked' plastic lid you can see through, which I generally keep closed. It's on the bottom shelf of a book case with my other coin trays, and not in direct sunlight. I've had the shillings for 10-15 years but the weird toning's only just started to appear. The rest of my small collection of shillings, from Charles II to Elizabeth II, is in the same tray, plus some florins and half crowns. Some of them are also toned but it's a fairly even tone (mostly sort of violet) on both sides, not just on the one. I don't want them to go the same way so would it be a good idea to cover all the trays with a large cloth?

If your not bothered about looking at them often ,maybe try just paper coin envelopes in an airtight box kept somewhere cool.

It could be anything ,such as being kept next to a radiator wont help .

Sure you will get it sorted .

It has been mentioned before that some woods have a greater effect on toning than others - what wood is your bookshelf made of? I don't know all the options but I seem to recall Mahogany is good, oak not so good, and pine very bad...

Paddy - I'm not sure what the wood is, I'm afraid. I inherited the book case and I've always assumed it's mahogany due to the colour but I couldn't say for sure. It's definitely not pine, thankfully. 

PWA - I'd rather not keep them in envelopes if there's an alternative as I like to be able to look at them without having to handle them. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

The mystery continues!

Some silver coins seem much more susceptible than others to toning.

2x2 self adhesive coin holders are airtight and cheap. Quadrums are good but bit more expensive. Both are good in reducing the chances of toning I think.

As sword says the Quadrums are more expensive but are good. I use the standard quads for my tokens or the Quadrum Intercept for any with a lot of lustre I want to preserve. They work out at about a pound a capsule for the intercepts and around 65p for the standard

I'd go with the quadrums too, I think for coins you want to handle they're the best option.

If you look on ebay, pay attention to the pack size. Some are for a 10 pack @ £6.95, other people have packs of 6, 5 or even 2 for that money.

20190428_120355.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'd never heard of quadrums until now but they sound good. They also sound expensive, though, particularly as I'd have to buy a lot of different sizes to fit all the various sized coins. I think paper envelopes might have to be the answer, at least for now.

Silly question, I know, but I'm now wondering what sort of box to keep them in when they're in their envelopes. I've got about 180 coins to store. Most dealers seem to sell the envelopes but not suitable boxes and somehow I don't think and old biscuit tin would do! 

Also, does anyone have an opinion on clear plastic envelopes, please? Some of the coins I've bought online have arrived in them, but how safe are they for long term storage? 

I would avoid the plastic flips, they can damage your coins leaving a sticky film on them particularly on silver. If you search for them on here I believe there are pictures of the results. As for storage boxes I use these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rigid-Cardboard-Strong-BLACK-COIN-STORAGE-BOX-Single-Box-2-4-6-8-10-20-30/380967218322?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144 two or three boxes should easily store 180 coins

1 hour ago, StephenO said:

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'd never heard of quadrums until now but they sound good. They also sound expensive, though, particularly as I'd have to buy a lot of different sizes to fit all the various sized coins. I think paper envelopes might have to be the answer, at least for now.

Silly question, I know, but I'm now wondering what sort of box to keep them in when they're in their envelopes. I've got about 180 coins to store. Most dealers seem to sell the envelopes but not suitable boxes and somehow I don't think and old biscuit tin would do! 

Also, does anyone have an opinion on clear plastic envelopes, please? Some of the coins I've bought online have arrived in them, but how safe are they for long term storage? 

You might be interested in these:

https://www.coingallery.co.uk/lighthouse-self-adhesive-coin-holders-2x2-flips-quantity-10-25-50-100-all-sizes-9151-p.asp

Works out about 10p each. They come in boxes of 10, 25, 50 or 100. I used to use them before switching to quadrums. 

You can store them in boxes like these:

https://www.coingallery.co.uk/box-for-100-coin-holders-blue-8505-p.asp

You can find alternative boxes. 

Will1976 is right. Flexible plastic coin envelopes are designed for short term storage only (e.g. posting a coin) and can cause damage if stored for a long period of time.

If you look for 1911 silver proof sets you'll see that a lot of them have toning, I think personally it's due to the felt lining inside the cases, this might be what's happening to your coins, an example is attached

1911 Set.jpg

Azda - I think you're probably right. The toning on my shillings looks a lot like the half crown in the photo, although it's only on the obverse which is what makes it weird.