British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

Royal Mint Circulation figures

Others have probably found this already, but in case you haven't, their website does now have comprehensive circulation figures for decimal coins up to 2017 - all denominations. Their own search engine doesn't seem to find it well so here is the link:

https://www.royalmint.com/currency/uk-currency/mintages/

• Like 1

Thanks Paddy that's a really useful resource. Does beg the question though why everyone is casing the 2009 kew 50p and not the 1992 single market which had nearly half the mintage?

Yes - and also why the Northern Ireland 2002 £2 coin is deemed so much scarcer than the others?

1 hour ago, Sleepy said:

Thanks Paddy that's a really useful resource. Does beg the question though why everyone is casing the 2009 kew 50p and not the 1992 single market which had nearly half the mintage?

The 1992 is no longer a circulation coin as it is a "large 50p", although to me that explanation doesn't stand up very well.

I actually blame media hype instead .. and people looking for a quick buck.

• Like 2

2017 £2 coin and 20p coin - these do exist in annual sets, so the mintage was >0 but no further clues available on how many sets were issued. Grab a bargain while you can :)

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist
decade - not the Duran Duran Album.

2 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

2017 £2 coin and 20p coin - these do exist in annual sets, so the mintage was >0 but no further clues available on how many sets were issued. Grab a bargain while you can :)

i did ask the mint how many sets were sold but they said wait for the figures 

3 hours ago, craigy said:

i did ask the mint how many sets were sold but they said wait for the figures 

Yep thats the same answer I got, although they do publish the sets and commemorative figures occasionally.. perhaps they'll be up soon. (hence grab some more sets before they skyrocket lol ;) )

I asked them again today, kaz said they will be released at the end of the year 

15 hours ago, Paddy said:

Others have probably found this already, but in case you haven't, their website does now have comprehensive circulation figures for decimal coins up to 2017 - all denominations. Their own search engine doesn't seem to find it well so here is the link:

https://www.royalmint.com/currency/uk-currency/mintages/

Interesting to look through. Note that the 1981 10p has a mintage of 3,487,000... this is a much more difficult coin to get in mint state than those numbers suggest ! I wonder if most of the mintage were dated 1980. 

21 hours ago, JLS said:

Interesting to look through. Note that the 1981 10p has a mintage of 3,487,000... this is a much more difficult coin to get in mint state than those numbers suggest ! I wonder if most of the mintage were dated 1980. 

That's what Michael Gouby speculated .. but I thought all published mintage figures from 1953 on were for coins minted with that year's date?

On 4/23/2019 at 9:08 AM, Sleepy said:

Back in July 2013, I actually got a 2009 Kew Gardens 50p in my change, but unfortunately spent it again later that same day, thinking it was a different 50p. I'd inadvertently put the wrong one in the zip up part of my wallet. Christ knows how I messed that one up. Think it was because I'd got several 50p's anyway, and got them all out of my pocket at the same time, in order to segregate the Kew Gardens, then must have somehow slipped the wrong one in.                                      

• Sad 1

Thanks for the link. The earlier version they had (in table form) was more convenient, but at least the mintages for the larger denominations are back (for a long while, they only had 1/2 through 20p, and the page for the rest was giving "not found" error).

Interesting BBC article on mintage figures etc, particularly about the 2017 figures for 20p and £2 coins:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48201920

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paddy said:

Interesting BBC article on mintage figures etc, particularly about the 2017 figures for 20p and £2 coins:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48201920

Very interesting, Paddy. Thanks.

I like this bit:-

The average coin has a 25 to 30-year lifespan.

Tell that to the 1p coin dated 1990 and sitting with many of it's contemporaries, BU or near so in numerous jars across the country.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Very interesting, Paddy. Thanks.

I like this bit:-

Tell that to the 1p coin dated 1990 and sitting with many of it's contemporaries, BU or near so in numerous jars across the country.

these coins not issued will be worthless now the mint are pumping out commemoratives that they say will not go into circulation, gone the same as stamp collecting 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, craigy said:

these coins not issued will be worthless now the mint are pumping out commemoratives that they say will not go into circulation, gone the same as stamp collecting 

Totally agree. They are attempting to artificially contrive a collectors market, which doesn't truly match the collector's mindset. I think we are all about collecting from a population not constructed for collection, such as currency issues. 

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 2

Why so many 1p's ?

Anything less than 10p goes in my change pot.

25 minutes ago, Peter said:

Why so many 1p's ?

Anything less than 10p goes in my change pot.

There’s your answer, Peter!  They hardly circulate, but are still required for some transactions.

Jerry

Like you just said a unloved coin  not wanted by the british public.

Left to rot in a jar unwanted and unloved , worth less than a farthing used to be .

On 5/21/2019 at 11:29 AM, Unwilling Numismatist said:

For anyone hunting down commemorative figures, they're here .. 

https://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-coins/circulation-coin-mintage-figures/

Oddly not attached to the "other" mintage figures.

They have been there in various guises for many years. The real mystery is why dont they publish the figures between 1977 and 2000.

On 5/21/2019 at 8:37 PM, copper123 said:

Left to rot in a jar unwanted and unloved , worth less than a farthing used to be .

A farthing is a piece of beauty...miniature pennies,the size of sovereigns,just my favourite.

I was born too late. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 1:12 PM, jelida said:

There’s your answer, Peter!  They hardly circulate, but are still required for some transactions.

Jerry

Count me out when its your round.They really haven't a commercial use or need.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 8:37 PM, copper123 said:

Absolutely. I suppose they have to keep minting them, despite the billions already out there, because as fast as they're minted, they end up languishing in a pot or vase somewhere, and not paid into a bank account again in decades.    

15 hours ago, AardHawk said:

They have been there in various guises for many years. The real mystery is why dont they publish the figures between 1977 and 2000.

Just plain odd. Doesn't make any rational sense why they'd be excluded.