British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Michael-Roo

Tetradrachm of Ptolemy I Soter with chop marks.

I've had this for at least 25 years and only this evening bothered to get it out and take a proper look ('Ooh Matron').

I've been Googling for information on ancient merchant's test chop marks but haven't come up with all that much so far. There's plenty to be had on 18th and 19th century silver coins with Chinese chop marks and I see also, who knew, some collectors clubs. I have found a few mentions of ancient test marks on tetradrachms but the information is scant to say the least. Should anyone here know about these I'd be grateful if you'd take a few minutes to share.

Ta.

IMG_20190419_100834.jpg

IMG_20190419_100855.jpg

Edited by Michael-Roo

Can't answer the question, but interestingly I have one of those : it doesn't have any 'chop' marks, but it does have a slice out of the edge though whether modern or contemporary I couldn't say.

981637534_ScreenShot2019-04-20at19_13_23.png.4bc03b88cf0f689cfec840d336bf4bdf.png

13 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Can't answer the question, but interestingly I have one of those : it doesn't have any 'chop' marks, but it does have a slice out of the edge though whether modern or contemporary I couldn't say.

981637534_ScreenShot2019-04-20at19_13_23.png.4bc03b88cf0f689cfec840d336bf4bdf.png

Nice Chris. Could those incuse (?) marks to the lower right of the eagle also be chop/test marks?

Do you know which of the Ptolemys yours is? If I remember correctly there were ten plus Cleo. 

You can ID using the monogram in the field to the left of the eagle.

You know, perhaps they could! 

I don't know which Ptolemy it is, but the whole Macedonian / Egyptian succession thing is a can of worms.

On 4/20/2019 at 7:59 PM, Peckris 2 said:

You know, perhaps they could! 

I don't know which Ptolemy it is, but the whole Macedonian / Egyptian succession thing is a can of worms.

Or brothers and sisters

tubbs.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1