British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1949threepence

Had a field day on e bay......

Pete I personally think that the first one is just a worn example with an over exposed photo .

As to the others I would tend to agree with you that they've probably been cleaned.  But as we know, photos can be so deceptive .  :huh:

35 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Pete I personally think that the first one is just a worn example with an over exposed photo .

As to the others I would tend to agree with you that they've probably been cleaned.  But as we know, photos can be so deceptive .  :huh:

Yes Terry you may well be right about the first one although it still looks messed about with and they are just the ones newly listed ,there are plenty others and didnt want to put them all on .

One of the reasons i mentioned of not buying this particular type from a photo and better looking for an UNC one .

Pete.

Edited by PWA 1967

On 11 May 2019 at 12:46 PM, 1949threepence said:

Pleased to say though I have managed to get 1945 and 1946 bright finishes relatively easily. Didn't take that much of a search. The 1945 one has got a few dark stains on the reverse (don't look like carbon spots). Maybe this is a tiny bit of hypo which splashed on to this coin, but otherwise didn't get the full treatment.  

bright finish 1945 rev.jpg

Yes, the 46 is quite common. It might be worth pointing out that of the 1945s I've seen, many had a much paler toning than is found on the other dates, misleading to the impression that maybe they were not toned. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Yes, the 46 is quite common. It might be worth pointing out that of the 1945s I've seen, many had a much paler toning than is found on the other dates, misleading to the impression that maybe they were not toned. 

Absolutely. We've seen that "light" mint toning on the 1934 as well. They vary from dark to light. 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 12:46 PM, 1949threepence said:

Don't know, you could be right. But it was so dirt cheap I decided to buy it anyway. I note it is the wide date variety referred to earlier by @terrysoldpennies with the last 4 over a tooth. The only other 1944 I can find with a (supposed) bright finish was in the Crocker collection, and that too has the final 4 over a tooth. Same as Terry's on the previous page.

In hand I'm no further forward than with the pic above. Through the loupe it looks almost UNC in some parts, and more worn in others. Anomaly.

Pleased to say though I have managed to get 1945 and 1946 bright finishes relatively easily. Didn't take that much of a search. The 1945 one has got a few dark stains on the reverse (don't look like carbon spots). Maybe this is a tiny bit of hypo which splashed on to this coin, but otherwise didn't get the full treatment.  

and so is the 1944 bright finish specimen in Gary's collection. 

On 4/19/2019 at 10:41 PM, mrbadexample said:

Smashing. Pictures when you get it please. :)

Delighted that David got another one a month later, and remembered that I wanted such a specimen. You could leave a request with some dealers and they'd forget all about it. Kudos to Dave.

So here it finally is.

It's GEF with lustre. There is a carbon spot on the obverse, but overall it's clearly far superior to the GF specimen I've got now.

single exergual line rev.jpg

single exergual line obv.jpg

single exergual line david's note.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 6:14 PM, Peckris 2 said:

Yes, I've certainly heard of 1944 undarkened, but they're very scarce.

1946 come in both flavours, but the mint darkened type I would say is more common.

Here's an interesting one - a 1940 penny that appears to have been darkened, which is unheard of in my experience.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1940-George-VI-Penny-Bronze-Coins-KM-Coins/173869777932?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D57477%26meid%3Db06794f45fd54bc19020d9507f8e7f09%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D192893122637%26itm%3D173869777932&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I've just taken a punt on it (made an offer which was accepted) - I'll see in hand if it actually is Mint toned. If not, I'll have a standard 1940 penny to sell. :D

Take a look at this one Chris. If it was 1944, 1945 or 1946, you'd say the toning was apt for the year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Take a look at this one Chris. If it was 1944, 1945 or 1946, you'd say the toning was apt for the year. 

That's clearly hypo toned - but at the Mint or after? It does look just a bit too brown and lacks the purplish tinge of MT examples. It would also bring into question that the War was the reason behind Mint toning, if genuine. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

That's clearly hypo toned - but at the Mint or after? It does look just a bit too brown and lacks the purplish tinge of MT examples. It would also bring into question that the War was the reason behind Mint toning, if genuine. 

Also, are the bright spots above the King's eye and on his cheek, bits where the hypo has been "knocked off"? 

Why would anyone want to hypo the coin, post mint? What would be the point? 

We will never know.

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Also, are the bright spots above the King's eye and on his cheek, bits where the hypo has been "knocked off"? 

Why would anyone want to hypo the coin, post mint? What would be the point? 

We will never know.

I wonder if one could treat a coin NOW, that was Unc-BU, with hypo? This could, for example, be recent but the seller hasn't made anything of it and appears to be offering it as a normal 1937. If someone was treating such pennies recently, you'd think they would say "RARE MINT TONING" or similar.

36 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

I wonder if one could treat a coin NOW, that was Unc-BU, with hypo? This could, for example, be recent but the seller hasn't made anything of it and appears to be offering it as a normal 1937. If someone was treating such pennies recently, you'd think they would say "RARE MINT TONING" or similar.

Yes, precisely. If so treated, it would surely have to be recent. I really can't imagine that anybody would have done so back in the late 1930's, or even soon after the '44 - '46 period, on a well preserved 1937 penny.

Nothing about it adds up.   

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 4:13 PM, terrysoldpennies said:

I received this in the post this morning. I bought it because I thought it to be a 1944 bright finish with the wide date and recut waves. I waited for it to come in so as to be sure, and it does appear to be the bright finish type.  Does anyone know if all of the wide date type were bright finished or were most darkened as with the standard date width type. 

1789111015_1944Widedate2low.JPG.78aa7c882bde20845ee6ac46a95d13ea.JPG 

Very interesting. 

This particular variation is noted in the January 1971 edition of Coin Monthly. It's in an article entitled "Coin Varieties - pennies", by A,J.Braybrook, on pages 50 to 53.

"1944 light toned, waves clear of exergue, Second 4 points to middle of waves"

Here's a photo of the relevant bit:-

braybrooke article.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Mike that's interesting , so his 1944 wide date example had a light finish to. Now I wonder which is most common the light or the dark. ??

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Thanks Mike that's interesting , so his 1944 wide date example had a light finish to. Now I wonder which is most common the light or the dark. ??

The $64,000 question, Terry.

Can anyone tell me how I can change the background of a coin photo to black as above ? It certainly seems to enhance the picture.

On 24 August 2019 at 3:59 PM, secret santa said:

Can anyone tell me how I can change the background of a coin photo to black as above ? It certainly seems to enhance the picture.

If you have Photoshop, it's easy:

1. Use the circular marquee select tool to select the coin

2. Invert the selection (which selects everything but the coin)

3. Use Fill - Black to fill the non-coin selection with black

I've only got the Free Adobe Photoshop Plus and it doesn't appear to have that feature.

Just did this one using Photoscape, which I know a lot of people use on here as it is free:

1. Open your picture in the Photoscape editor

2. From the "Crop" tab at the bottom, select "Crop Round Image"

3. Beneath that select the background colour you want from the drop down.

4. Draw your circle around your coin image and when you are happy hit the "Crop" button. Bingo!

1875H D 8+J 1 Red Black background.JPG

• Like 2

Are you not able to over-ride your antivirus? Provided you are downloading it from photoscape.org or one of their provided links I am sure it is OK. I have had it for a couple of years now and swear by it.

Which antivirus are you using?

Paddy, thanks for the tip, it works great, lots of possibilities (found it in the Mac store )

Just couldn't resist quickly trying it out, here's a plugged, decapitated, and 'defe(e)ated' obsidional Pontefract shilling, very intuitive, don't need to read a book👍

Untitled.png.344846e4cd3fdf452f5699b57ee1cd17.png

thanks,

Paul

• Like 1

@Diaconis have you got the Pro version and paid for it? Just wondering as my free version gives only rectangular or circle/ellipse cropping, and you seem to have used a more free form version. (Not that I would need it often enough to want to pay for it!)

See if it works:-

Well I'll need to perfect my technique, but so far so good - from photoscape. Thanks @Paddy

narrow date 1879 rev cropped.jpg

Edited by 1949threepence