British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

new silver 1oz bullion

I don't think there is anything wrong with collectors buying, investing in and enjoying the Niue trade dollars. We buy most things on visual appeal and buy things we like.

However, I do think it is wrong (or at least very bad taste) for countries wanting to make money by:

1) Copying or cloning other nations' designs

2) Making commemorative coins on events / ideas that have little or no relevance to them as they would appear very insincere for doing so. 

Niue Island is particularly bad in my view. They make coins almost exclusively for collectors (and use New Zealand coins in everyday transactions). They have made coins featuring Mickey Mouse, Snoppy, Pokemon, Bambi, Darth Vader etc. i.e. things that have no relevance to them. The Royal Mint has sank rather low in recent years with things like the Graffalo, but they at least have British connections. One might get some amusement from the Niue offerings: https://www.govmint.com/world-coins/other-world-coins/niue-coins

E.g.

1634265340_338711_1-Copy.jpg.e5762aedd190a5007580808b8b0a96a6.jpg

2146483379_270622_1-Copy.jpg.202fa104b55d928b0cc5f5a469bac2d7.jpg

These cheap attempts to make money is fine. But copying other nations' designs to make money is not. Cashing in on other nations' heritage, culture, tragic events is also poor. For example, many might argue that Niue Island making SEVEN different 2011 one dollar coins for Diana just solely greed. 

Back to the Niue trade dollars. Yes, the website does state they are "a lasting tribute to a currency born out of commerce and trade". Then it also go on to say that the " Collection consists of five new coin designs celebrating the infamous currency of the Orient". With Niue's track record, the real purpose is obvious. 

I would think that copying is much like copyright, the Queens head is an official figure so therefor cannot be used willy nilly on a coin, permission would have to be granted, same goes for the REV is using a design from a previous type coin, so in summary, perhaps some royalties are paid, and therfor countries are happy for these designs to be used in these cases, you shouldn't just think it's been used however they please which is where i think you're coming from.

Couple that with the fact the Queenies effigy is done by IRB i think it's unlikely that it's just been thrown together by a mint.

Niue Silver Coins

A tiny country in the South Pacific Ocean with a population of just 1,600, the island of Niue lies 1,491 miles northeast of New Zealand within the triangle formed by Tonga, Samoa and the Cook Islands.

But despite its small size, Niue has recently emerged as a big player on the world's collectible coin market – releasing 99.9% pure silver coins with officially licensed designs that feature everything from the classic Star Wars characters to Disney favorites like Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and Cinderella.

Edited by azda

Obviously, the modern images such as those from Disney are licensed. I am just not convinced that copying "an element" of a previous coin's design without permission is definitely "illegal" if the coin is old enough and there is no attempt to deceive. It's even more arguable when the image is very similar (or "inspired") and not absolutely identical to the real thing. There are so many unofficial reproduction coins / coin-like objects around (done by private companies rather than countries) that feature large elements of official previous designs.

But I am sure someone on the forum would be able to give a definitive answer. 

In the late 13th century, most of northern Europe was copying the English long cross penny because it was the de facto standard design, so everyone who could, used a nominally identical design, legends excepted to ensure their currency was accepted. The fineness was frequently not adhered to.

On 14 April 2019 at 8:43 PM, Rob said:

In the late 13th century, most of northern Europe was copying the English long cross penny because it was the de facto standard design, so everyone who could, used a nominally identical design, legends excepted to ensure their currency was accepted. The fineness was frequently not adhered to.

Of course, England was actually more or less France back then. ;)

• Like 1