British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

new silver 1oz bullion

Can anyone explain to me why, with silver at say 11-12 quid an ounce,

this coin is called bullion?

1 hour ago, blakeyboy said:

GREED?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Because it will never be worth more than bullion when you resell it ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

They have just reused the 2015 one pound design to save a bit of effort. Personally, I just don't like this design as the bodies of the lion and unicorn have to be tiny to hide behind the shield.

VAT, manufacturing premium and delivery costs all contribute to the premium over spot.

I like the design.  I'm biased, I have the gold bullion version 😊

34 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

VAT, manufacturing premium and delivery costs all contribute to the premium over spot.

I like the design.  I'm biased, I have the gold bullion version 😊

The Gold version is at least VAT free and the price (including p and p) is just about £72 or 7% over bullion. 

But the premium of the silver version is well over 100% and it's too much for a bullion product IMO.

1 hour ago, Sword said:

But the premium of the silver version is well over 100% and it's too much for a bullion product IMO.

they do get a bit cheaper the more you buy, but not by much, are bullion coins collectable in their own right, some early bullion Britannia's are, but they now seem to be releasing many different bullion coins that its going the same way as the £2 and 50p commemoratives now 

look at the price of these two dragons 1oz bullion coins, £36 for one that's without vat 😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮

19 hours ago, craigy said:

look at the price of these two dragons 1oz bullion coins, £36 for one that's without vat 😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮

This design was dire, i really liked the QB Red dragon though, and also this one attached

Screenshot 2019-04-06 at 11.17.45.png

• Like 1

I really like the look of the coin myself. But I just don't think it is morally right to pinch another nation's iconic design like that. Imagine some country suddenly using an exact copy of Una and the lion or worse still, our St George and dragon. That Chinese dragon really belongs to China!

Edited by Sword

does it belong to imperial china or communist china or republic of china though? :) 

15 minutes ago, rpeddie said:

does it belong to imperial china or communist china or republic of china though? :) 

Just "China". And certainly not to the Niue Island. 

22 hours ago, craigy said:

they are only double the bullion price if you buy a minimum of 100 just think of the fun you will have laughing at the postman dragging the parcel to your door., only £3000

Design by Heaton mint in 1870's for Nanking province, dies were shipped over to China. 

1515262071_Screenshot2019-04-13at19_43_51.png.905a7776dffcd400b763f32301ac4d39.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sword said:

I really like the look of the coin myself. But I just don't think it is morally right to pinch another nation's iconic design like that. Imagine some country suddenly using an exact copy of Una and the lion or worse still, our St George and dragon. That Chinese dragon really belongs to China!

It’s a restrike of the trade dollars, there’s 5 in the series in Gold proof, silver proof and BU. 288 mintage for the gold 1888 for the silver proof and 10k for the BU

16 minutes ago, Diaconis said:

Design by Heaton mint in 1870's for Nanking province, dies were shipped over to China. 

1515262071_Screenshot2019-04-13at19_43_51.png.905a7776dffcd400b763f32301ac4d39.png

Didn’t realise Heaton did the dies, interesting 

23 minutes ago, azda said:

Didn’t realise Heaton did the dies, interesting 

I got the date wrong AZDA, 1897. Here's an excerpt from Stacks;

"Commissioned in 1897, the Heaton mint produced a series of six coins, five silver and one brass, as proposed patterns or trial strikes of the eventual adopted design for the Nanking mint. A full set of dies and a small number of proofs were sent along with the minting equipment after completion. Upon arrival the Nanking mint began production using the supplied dies. 

1 hour ago, azda said:

It’s a restrike of the trade dollars, there’s 5 in the series in Gold proof, silver proof and BU. 288 mintage for the gold 1888 for the silver proof and 10k for the BU

Strictly, a restrike is a coin made from original dies at a later year. In this particular case, the word "restrike" has never been used on the coins' website (as far as I can see) and has only been used unofficially by private collectors on e.g. Youtube clips. Niue Island has nothing to do with the original trade dollars. Its designs for the "US" and "British" trade dollars are at least not identical to the real things and were "inspired" by the originals. But the Chinese dragon is just an exact clone of the original design as presumably because Imperial China is not around to complain. 

Collectors buying the coins of course don't have to care and they can be good investments if there is a strong market for them. Buy what one likes and why be troubled by other people's concerns. 

But it could be the Imperial German eagle, or the Russian double headed eagle being copied by some third country / territory  next. I just think that it would be nice if there is greater respect for other nations' culture and heritage. 

8 hours ago, Sword said:

it would be nice if there is greater respect for other nations' culture and heritage. 

I totally agree 

E9011A1C-FEB6-4D1C-95C8-DB55A1788AEE.jpeg

• Haha 2

If you look to the right and the word "Hersteller" in German meaning manufacturer, tell me what it says, so yes, the UK needs to respect other cultures, yet throughout the ages never have. 😉

Screenshot 2019-04-14 at 09.47.54.png

Edited by azda

So after reading the EIC website, their blurb reads..... we can call it a tribute coin and not restrike as i mentioned, my bad

The East India Company is pleased to announce the release of the third coin in this uniquely popular series.
Struck in exceptional proof quality, the reverse side of the silver one ounce pieces features a detailed depiction of the classic Chinese dragon in the centre, surrounded by the text: “THE EAST INDIA COMPANY”, the denomination and a traditional oriental patterned border. Engraved with a uniquely patterned obverse which includes an elegant effigy of HM Queen Elizabeth II created by British sculptor Ian Rank-Broadley, the 2019-dated Chinese Trade Dollar 1oz silver proof coins have a limited mintage of just 1888 presentation pieces and are the first coins in the collection struck with this year date.
A lasting tribute to a currency born out of commerce and trade, The East India Company’s 2019 Chinese Trade Dollar is part of a five-coin series and is certain to stand out as one of the collection’s most admired pieces.

Edited by azda

5 hours ago, azda said:

I totally agree 

E9011A1C-FEB6-4D1C-95C8-DB55A1788AEE.jpeg

Yes, things were very different in the reign of George III. UK even had the slave trade and countermarking coins was trivial in comparison. The world has hopefully moved on since. 

6 hours ago, azda said:

If you look to the right and the word "Hersteller" in German meaning manufacturer, tell me what it says, so yes, the UK needs to respect other cultures, yet throughout the ages never have. 😉

Screenshot 2019-04-14 at 09.47.54.png

I don't think it is particularly relevant which mint made these pieces. Niue is an independent country and has control over its own coinage (with the exception of the Queen's portrait).

The East India Company Website does not mention the mint used and there is no Royal Mint Logo anywhere on the box. The other websites are also very quiet on this point. Does it say the the Royal Mint in the COA? I understand that the New Zealand Mint generally make coins for Niue Island. 

1 minute ago, Sword said:

I don't think it is particularly relevant which mint made these pieces. Niue is an independent country and has control over its own coinage (with the exception of the Queen's portrait).

The East India Company Website does not mention the mint used and there is no Royal Mint Logo anywhere on the box. The other websites are also very quiet on this point. Does it say the the Royal Mint in the COA? I understand that the New Zealand Mint generally make coins for Niue Island. 

I don't have the coin in hand, i took that from a website selling the coin, but as you also mentioned Una and the Lion

Screenshot 2019-04-14 at 16.04.53.png