British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Diaconis

Commendable Künker

Just read this interesting article in Coin news and was fascinated  by the history of the coin in question and impressed by the commendable act of Auction house Künker in returning same to the cabinet in Weimar.

https://www.coinsweekly.com/en/News/Alchemical-Gold-Coin-Back-in-Weimar/4?&id=5985

I must say that, having purchased several coins from them them in the past, their packaging and service is also second to none.

• Like 1

All the major houses will act in a similar way where the provenance is legally questionable. A good example was the recent DNW sale where a large number of nice pieces were withdrawn prior to the sale. Another example is the Lockdales sale a year or two ago where a William I 2 stars of Launceston with the SAGSTI STEFANI mint reading was on offer. As it was the same coin that had been stolen from Seaby in 1961, I questioned whether the purchaser would have legal title to it. The coin was withdrawn, and only after its legal status had been clarified was it re-offered.

It's the way it should be as virtually all those involved in the coin trade are upstanding folk of good character.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rob said:

It's the way it should be as virtually all those involved in the coin trade are upstanding folk of good character.

hear hear

42 minutes ago, Diaconis said:

I must say that, having purchased several coins from them them in the past, their packaging and service is also second to none.

I concur. They didn't even charge me extra postage when I bought my Swedish 4 daler weighing a little over 3kg. :)

10 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

I concur. They didn't even charge me extra postage when I bought my Swedish 4 daler weighing a little over 3kg. :)

Delivered in a pick-up truck?

Just now, Rob said:

Delivered in a pick-up truck?

No, weary looking courier.

On 4/4/2019 at 3:37 PM, Diaconis said:

I concur - particularly like the custom large card boxes they ship multiple purchases in. The last one I got had a huge photo of a German New Guinea coin - almost more beautiful than what was inside !

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JLS said:

I concur - particularly like the custom large card boxes they ship multiple purchases in. The last one I got had a huge photo of a German New Guinea coin - almost more beautiful than what was inside !

Great aren't they.😀  

It's the only auction house where I actually keep the packaging.

I think this is the packaging you are referring to?

345025435_Screenshot2019-04-16at22_15_23.png.10861192d15c4972cc91a00a48554fc9.png

A pound of packaging to ship a 5 gram shilling, quality.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Diaconis said:

Great aren't they.😀  

It's the only auction house where I actually keep the packaging.

I think this is the packaging you are referring to?

345025435_Screenshot2019-04-16at22_15_23.png.10861192d15c4972cc91a00a48554fc9.png

A pound of packaging to ship a 5 gram shilling, quality.

Yes, exactly what I was referring to. 

I like the bulkiness of the packaging because it hides the potential value of the contents ! I always cringe a bit when I buy a higher value coin off eBay and they send it special delivery yet you can feel it through the bubble mailer.