British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Nonmortuus

Does anyone collect German Empire coins?

As the title, I have picked up a few Marks over the last year and wondered if anyone else collected them?

They are extremely attractive coins! Might buy one or two in the future.

I can't say I seriously collect them, but when I nice one falls into my possession I tend to keep them in my "tangents" album. Particularly the crown size ones - I see I have 12 so far - Prussia, Bavaria, Wurtemburg, Frankfurt and early Empire so far.

Some of them are very handsome - better designs than most of the modern RM stuff.

Good to see other people like them too! I will post some pictures of mine when I get around to taking them.

I love a book and purchased at a whim "Grosser Deutscher Munzkatalog" 1800 onwards. I have a few coins picked up over the years which I enjoy and wanted to expand on Krause's offerings. I look forward to pictures and further discussion.

Yes -- German federal coins from 1871 onwards.

7 hours ago, Peter said:

I love a book and purchased at a whim "Grosser Deutscher Munzkatalog" 1800 onwards. I have a few coins picked up over the years which I enjoy and wanted to expand on Krause's offerings. I look forward to pictures and further discussion.

I don't have anything rare, in fact the ones I have are all pretty common, 1914 A Mark etc but I I love the design and some of them seem to pick up exceptional toning.

I think this thread needs som pictures - here are some of mine.

First - probably my favourite - Frankfurt:

Frankfurt Thaler 1860 2 Red.JPG

Frankfurt Thaler 1860 1 Red.JPG

• Like 3

This is Bavaria:

Bavaria 1914 3M 1 Red.JPG

Bavaria 1914 3M 2 Red.JPG

• Like 1

..and finally for now, Wurtemburg:

Wurtemburg 1875 5M 2 Red.JPG

Wurtemburg 1875 5M 1 Red.JPG

• Like 2

I have finally got around to taking some pictures, I will upload a few this weekend if I get chance.

@Nonmortuus

Couple that I have below - a bit of reflection and opening multiple collecting fronts doesn't work for me 😆 but they are just nice things in themselves so never parted. 

Sourcing them is trickier than it probably should be too I think, I assume in the past a lot of them showed up on eBay UK, so it got to routing through ma-shops and that wasn't the best place in the world to be either. 

1908-1mark-1000.jpg.1eb219ee63b02e059dd37884ab164a91.jpg

125657q00.thumb.jpg.4482a41cea5c28887e6a464b0577bcd5.jpg

• Like 3

When the opportunity presents itself