British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

from the royal mint museum

There are many instances of artists actually placing their own features on the faces of subjects in a painting or sculpture and if a comparison is made between the portrait punch illustrated here of the St George from the 1935 Silver Jubilee crown and the photograph of the artist Percy Metcalfe it is possible, as was known at the time, to discern more than a passing resemblance. The clipped hair, the angular profile and the shape of the neck all suggest Metcalfe was doing more than creating a powerfully modern depiction of St George and the dragon, he was in addition subtly and wryly finding a place for himself on the British coinage.

12829000_829332827193546_1307607824502504138_o.jpg

• Like 1

I'd bet theres a few more features than just self-likeness among the many coin designs - with today's affordable microscopes I imagine more things will suface when people get to looking.

I know in that job I'd certainly try to get the odd thing past quality control :)

Lions and lambs, anyone? :D

It has been a long tradition that artists put their faces on their works. One of my favourites is Michaelangelo putting his face on the skin St Bartholonew is holding on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. 

8 minutes ago, Sword said:

It has been a long tradition that artists put their faces on their works. One of my favourites is Michaelangelo putting his face on the skin St Bartholonew is holding on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. 

So Alfred Hitchcock was following a long tradition!

On 4/1/2019 at 10:51 PM, Peckris 2 said:

Lions and lambs, anyone? :D

I was thinking the same!

• Haha 1

Speaking of which, anyone know what happened with Dr Larry? Not seen or heard of him on here for many months now...