British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ozjohn

1905 Halfcrown

I saw this one listed on Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EDWARD-VII-1905-SILVER-HALFCROWN-KEY-DATE-NGC-AU58/273780292675?hash=item3fbe93bc43:g:XWgAAOSwmetcnLrn

Buy now for GBP 6495 its a NGC slabbed coin graded at AU 58. My Spink 20i6  lists it at GBP 5250. Seems to be a good coin perhaps the price is on the heavyside but they don't come on the market very often.

9 hours ago, ozjohn said:

I saw this one listed on Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EDWARD-VII-1905-SILVER-HALFCROWN-KEY-DATE-NGC-AU58/273780292675?hash=item3fbe93bc43:g:XWgAAOSwmetcnLrn

Buy now for GBP 6495 its a NGC slabbed coin graded at AU 58. My Spink 20i6  lists it at GBP 5250. Seems to be a good coin perhaps the price is on the heavyside but they don't come on the market very often.

2 were sold in the recent Baldwins auction of Edward VII collection, highest graded was MS64 and hammered at 12k i believe, although the auctioneer did say the seller bought it from them for 14k, so he lost some money on that

IMG_9326.jpg

Edited by azda

37 minutes ago, azda said:

2 were sold in the recent Baldwins auction of Edward VII collection, highest graded was MS64 and hammered at 12k i believe, although the auctioneer did say the seller bought it from them for 14k, so he lost some money on that

IMG_9326.jpg

I think personally that price is rather heavy, but if the market will pay it then fair enough. I would like to say though, that the comparative rarity of Ed VII halfcrowns decreases the higher the grade; in other words, a Fair 1905 is greatly rarer than a Fair 1908 (for example), but when you get close to mint state that gulf has narrowed significantly.

I find that Ed VII series quite boring to be honest.

LOL, yea true is that. I try to like it an managed to get all the silver but quite stale in appearance. Even the florin - if you look closely Brit looks a bit, hmmm, "alternative lifestyle"

• Like 1

One man's meat etc. IMO From the photo I think the coin has possibly been under graded by NGC. Given some of the examples in the past from TPGs MS 61/2 may be more appropriate.

Edited by ozjohn

Just found another 1905 Halfcrowm https://www.amrcoins.com/coins-for-sale/MS-0509C/ which is graded at as gEF by the vendor which equates to AU58. A grading I would not disagree with. Personally I think the Cooper Coins offering is the better coin (not by far) and cheaper if you buy it direct from the vendor.

12 hours ago, ozjohn said:

Just found another 1905 Halfcrowm https://www.amrcoins.com/coins-for-sale/MS-0509C/ which is graded at as gEF by the vendor which equates to AU58. A grading I would not disagree with. Personally I think the Cooper Coins offering is the better coin (not by far) and cheaper if you buy it direct from the vendor.

GEF starts around MS60 to MS62, AU58 is EF

Ok. To recalibrate the AMR coin is say MS 61  (gEF)  to  AU 58 (EF) if you believe the vendors grade. I still think the NGC graded coin is a tad better than the AMR  listed coin and possibly undergraded. Which is unusual for me as I usually whinge about overgraded TPG 'ed coins. The NGC coin is also better value especially if you buy it via the vendor's site.

Quoting from https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/sheldon-scale-of-coin-grading-768380 it describes MS 60 as no sign of circulation where the coin is only effected by bag marks etc. The less of this the higher the MS number. Whereas gEF (UK) still talks about wear due to circulation on the coin. I think we are now entering the subjective area of coin grading to what is wear and damage caused by the minting and handling process,

Edited by ozjohn