British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

not for circulation,

9 hours ago, Taikonaut said:

So people who likes snowman should build one instead of buying a coin with the Snowman? Strange how its all sold out and costing an awful lot more in the secondary market :)

IMO its not stange at all ,people are buying them to sell due to the limited numbers Snowman , Gruffalo ,wedgwood anything with limited numbers.Unfortunately the collector who wants one now may have to pay more.However that i feel is the maximum most would ever be worth as the same number of collectors wanting one in a couple of years time will be less.

People are buying the gold wedgwood and others to sell and i am sure some are buying more than 3 ,so can set the price at what they want when they have sold out I.E. £1250 although London coin company has them at nearly £2K

The Royal mint should maybe issue more to look after collectors rather than..... Only Limited numbers available.

There will always be exceptions ,but dont feel with most of these they are anything other than a nice thing in a box.

Edited by PWA 1967

5 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

The Royal mint should maybe issue more to look after collectors rather than..... Only Limited numbers available.

I think they have probably worked it out:

• low numbers means high prices for the issue and greater profit per item
  • more than that though, they are establishing a market for rarities and counting on collectors being stimulated to snap up every issue within hours or days; an ever repeating cycle only limited by whatever spurious anniversary they need to make the damn things.

2 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

I think they have probably worked it out:

• low numbers means high prices for the issue and greater profit per item
  • more than that though, they are establishing a market for rarities and counting on collectors being stimulated to snap up every issue within hours or days; an ever repeating cycle only limited by whatever spurious anniversary they need to make the damn things.

Yes 100% they know Peck and  create the market interest to make the profits and as long as people are buying them will keep bringing out new designs that wont go into circulation.

They are bringing that many out though that i feel in a couple of years the designs not for circulation will be worth a lot less and forgotten about.

The big selling point for them is.....Limited number 🙂

20 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes 100% they know Peck and  create the market interest to make the profits and as long as people are buying them will keep bringing out new designs that wont go into circulation.

They are bringing that many out though that i feel in a couple of years the designs not for circulation will be worth a lot less and forgotten about.

The big selling point for them is.....Limited number 🙂

Yes, absolutely. We can now safely establish there are 2 kinds of coin collector, operating in ever-further apart worlds. The only thing I'd say is that "coins" not for currency are not coins at all really. Patterns and proofs are also not for circulation but at least they connect to currency in real and interesting ways.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Yes, absolutely. We can now safely establish there are 2 kinds of coin collector, operating in ever-further apart worlds. The only thing I'd say is that "coins" not for currency are not coins at all really. Patterns and proofs are also not for circulation but at least they connect to currency in real and interesting ways.

This is why I say it's a massive shame that there isn't a limited currency issue - and also a very small number of additional gold and silver proof versions.

On 18 April 2019 at 3:13 PM, copper123 said:

By the way if anyones interested the wedgewood museum in stoke is really good and very underated as a tourist destination

There's a very decent collection at the Lady Lever in Port Sunlight too.

• Like 2

On 4/18/2019 at 2:02 PM, PWA 1967 said:

I think Sword is right ,unless its a coin design that goes into circulation by the thousands / millions people will have forgotten about them in a couple of years as they keep releasing other designs.Collectors who want one will buy one now and keep it in the same condition and i think the new collector wont pay or have to pay over the odds in a couple of years and will again just buy a new release.There will surely become a time were people get sick of seeing a different design every couple of weeks.

I know what you are saying, commemoration none curculating coins generally don't havs appeal of circulated ones. The difference here is these are legal tender official coins of the year. I see them the same as those Victorian pattern proofs albeit a bit more legit.

RM in in recent years has issued many novelty coins that went into circulation and all with a few exception could command respectable price. So I think its a good move to make official coins but lower the mintage figure not aimed for circulation but you can still use it if you ever find them in your change.

17 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

Totally superb a great place to spend a day out

On 4/18/2019 at 4:38 PM, PWA 1967 said:

People are buying the gold wedgwood and others to sell and i am sure some are buying more than 3 ,so can set the price at what they want when they have sold out I.E. £1250 although London coin company has them at nearly £2K

There is limit of 3 per household.

Mine has arrived, no203 of 225 so if that reflect numerical order of sales then 90% soldout

18 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

I live near there👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taikonaut said:

I live near there👍

I know, I remember you saying so. :)

3 hours ago, Taikonaut said:

I know what you are saying, commemoration none curculating coins generally don't havs appeal of circulated ones. The difference here is these are legal tender official coins of the year. I see them the same as those Victorian pattern proofs albeit a bit more legit.

RM in in recent years has issued many novelty coins that went into circulation and all with a few exception could command respectable price. So I think its a good move to make official coins but lower the mintage figure not aimed for circulation but you can still use it if you ever find them in your change.

"I see them the same as those Victorian pattern proofs albeit a bit more legit." :) 

Problem is that there are only a finite number of collectors for modern coins and they have a finite amount of money. However, the number of Royal Mint offerings is totally unlimited. Each issue might have a low mintage but the combine total is already colossal and increasing by the month. 

A Victorian pattern will always maintain it's value and fascination. But a modern Royal Mint offering can easily be bullion value 20 years after issue. 

29 minutes ago, Sword said:

"I see them the same as those Victorian pattern proofs albeit a bit more legit." :) 

Problem is that there are only a finite number of collectors for modern coins and they have a finite amount of money. However, the number of Royal Mint offerings is totally unlimited. Each issue might have a low mintage but the combine total is already colossal and increasing by the month. 

A Victorian pattern will always maintain it's value and fascination. But a modern Royal Mint offering can easily be bullion value 20 years after issue. 

It is unlimited as long as people continue to order until sometime before the end of the year. Assuming most people who ordered are not selling  and some made multiple orders to sell it is very likely the surplus of these coins available in the market are a lot fewer than the numbers of coins available if they were released in circulation with a limit even to that of the Kew Garden 50p.

The Snowman 50p BU is no longer made for sometime, its a 2018 coin and a production period of only a few months.

Victorian Pattern were a niche product back when they were made and so is modern RM offering. Unless you are Marty McFly you would'nt know whats comming next week let alone 20yrs🤣

1 minute ago, Taikonaut said:

Victorian Pattern were a niche product back when they were made and so is modern RM offering. Unless you are Marty McFly you would'nt know whats comming next week let alone 20yrs🤣

Victorian Patterns were trial pieces and were not made by the Royal Mint for profit. Hence, they have historical significance. 

I rather suspect organisations like the London Coins Company have some agreement with the Royal Mint and can return some unsold coins to minimize their risk. 

Anyway, I will say no more. Enjoy your coins. 

All dealers are business people. If I buy and sell my coins I also become part that circus.

Trial pieces were experimental coins. Victorian patterns is were artist showing off their designs.

I wish I got this one when it came out. Its a homage of a coin that came 200yrs before. It now rocketed in value and pretty hard to get hold of. I guess I dismissed it as another modern RM fad that only worth its bullion value🤔

https://www.chards.co.uk/2017-gold-sovereign-sovereign-piedfort-proof/2924

11 minutes ago, Taikonaut said:

All dealers are business people. If I buy and sell my coins I also become part that circus.

Trial pieces were experimental coins. Victorian patterns is were artist showing off their designs.

I wish I got this one when it came out. Its a homage of a coin that came 200yrs before. It now rocketed in value and pretty hard to get hold of. I guess I dismissed it as another modern RM fad that only worth its bullion value🤔

https://www.chards.co.uk/2017-gold-sovereign-sovereign-piedfort-proof/2924

I dont have a clue what the issue price was but the ones selling in completed istings on ebay are a lot less than the one in your link ,one is in an ebay auction now if you want one and plenty as a BIN , some will probably still be for sale next year.

The Chard one is a perfect example of buying to (try ) sell at an inflated price when they have sold out and have put a price on that i doubt anyone will pay.

The circus is just that and some dealers may have them collecting dust for years if they are too expensive.

My own opinion is the RM dont put enough in circulation ,so they can sell a 10p for £3 as they are doing with the alphabet ones and next week will be the same just another design maybe a £2,

I would think most £2 / 50p coin collectors are loosing track due to how many designs have been produced over the last couple of years......Most in Limited numbers :D

I was going to comment on how I hate all the 'made for profit' rubbish that various mints churn out,

but then I decided not to.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Taikonaut said:

Wrong. They weren't a 'product' in any way shape or form. They were trials for new coins, rejected in the end, but not intended ever for sale or circulation. They are fascinating glimpses into the life of the coinage and of the Royal Mint when it was a non-profit making offshoot of the Treasury.

The RM is now a company that exists to make money in addition to minting currency. If there's an interest in those commercial products, then fine. But please, let's not pretend it has any firm connection with numismatics.

• Like 6