British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

not for circulation,

another coin not intended for circulation along with many others, how will this affect the market for values of coins, we know a low mintage coin is worth more than a common coin but what about say the 2016 shield of arms 50p that wasnt released into circulation, will this bring down other coins in value, and is coin collection of modern stuff about to go like British stamps did ?/

Capture.JPG

Spink will need to do a completely new book on non-circulation issues at this rate! How many is that so far this year, 10 designs now?

• Haha 1

As mentioned in other posts "limited editions" seldom increase in value. A 1927 florin mintage  15000 cost now under GBP 200!

7 hours ago, craigy said:

another coin not intended for circulation along with many others, how will this affect the market for values of coins, we know a low mintage coin is worth more than a common coin but what about say the 2016 shield of arms 50p that wasnt released into circulation, will this bring down other coins in value, and is coin collection of modern stuff about to go like British stamps did ?/

I think modern issues usually do badly in the secondary market with the exception of those which are able to "strike a cord" with the public. I don't honestly think this Wedgwood has any chance of doing well. Who cares about Wedgwood? At least seeing the Gruffalo or Snowman can make someone smile and hence they have got some potential. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sword said:

I think modern issues usually do badly in the secondary market with the exception of those which are able to "strike a cord" with the public. I don't honestly think this Wedgwood has any chance of doing well. Who cares about Wedgwood? At least seeing the Gruffalo or Snowman can make someone smile and hence they have got some potential. 

Maybe the limited mintage issues target specific but smaller markets. This wasn’t meant to appeal to the masses, it doesn’t have to do well, just sell out.

There are most definitely people who can appreciate Josiah Wedgwood I’m sure of that. Check out the new World of Wedgewood museum in Barlaston and see his far reaching influence. Can’t see Gruffalo being revered in 250 yrs time but I may be wrong.

4 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Spink will need to do a completely new book on non-circulation issues at this rate! How many is that so far this year, 10 designs now?

I think they could just go into the Part II Decimals book.

With a bit of luck it will soon be big enough to be issued as a stand alone volume. I also wish they would reduce the size of the predecimal section such that it fits into a <1kg package.

8 hours ago, Rob said:

With a bit of luck it will soon be big enough to be issued as a stand alone volume. I also wish they would reduce the size of the predecimal section such that it fits into a <1kg package.

i reckon Elizabeth II could have her own volume at this rate 

She does already. We went decimal during the present reign. Including the 7 pages given to predecimal would add nothing.

Edited by Rob

1 hour ago, Rob said:

She does already. We went decimal during the present reign. Including the 7 pages given to predecimal would add nothing.

i know but i ment including her pre decinmals as well, albeit 7 pages,   

and you could add her overseas territories as well just to thicken it up a bit more 

It's actually a shame that they aren't all issued as a currency strike - some with very limited number. Now that would encourage collection in the years to come.

By the way, that Wedgwood design is a particularly attractive one. 

58 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

It's actually a shame that they aren't all issued as a currency strike - some with very limited number. Now that would encourage collection in the years to come.

By the way, that Wedgwood design is a particularly attractive one. 

I just don't understand why you'd mint the things and not  drop 20-100k into circulation, I know they're trying to keep all of the profit from the market they've created, but seriously? 6 months after the release date, just send some out to circulation.

And yes, I like the wedgewood too.

• Like 1

Copy of the Portland vase?

reminds me of an old b&w Alfred Hitchcock tv episode, think it was called the Cheney vase or something like that. The moral of which is more valid today, i.e look after the old folks.😉

It is a better design than some but still doesn't do it for me. Good quality Wedgwood vases are characterised by sharp and detailed design. The design on particularly the BU version is neither sharp or detailed. 

The mintage numbers are low and so should sell out. But I still don't think it will maintain value in the secondary market. People who like Wedgwood would buy real Wedgwood. Kids wanting a Gruffalo would buy Gruffalo toys. Grown-ups still young at heart might want to have Gruffalo coins. Might be I am just being naive and people would still want them in a few years time?

I came across the word  'gruffalo' for the first time on this forum.......

I still have no idea what one is.

Not that I care....:)

• Haha 1

I have never heard of it until about a year ago when I took my toddler nephew to see the Gruffalo show at a theatre. (The original book was published in 1999) and young kids love the character apparently.  

I don't often buys modern commemoratives but I have a soft spot for this Wedgwood coins and the low mintage that I placed an order for a gold and Piedfort. Its already hit 60% reserved for the gold £2.

London Coins is already asking £1250 which is most likely the immediate selling price after it is sold out. Its a no brainer for me.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Taikonaut said:

I don't often buys modern commemoratives but I have a soft spot for this Wedgwood coins and the low mintage that I placed an order for a gold and Piedfort. Its already hit 60% reserved for the gold £2.

London Coins is already asking £1250 which is most likely the immediate selling price after it is sold out. Its a no brainer for me.

Yes, the gold has a limited edition number of 225, and the immediate selling price is £845.

I'm thinking about placing an order for a gold version, simply because I really like the design. Plus you always retain bullion value. 

• Thanks 1

Design with popular culture such as Paddington and Snowman tend to go up in value and desirability as long as mintage figure is low enough. Some royal weddings and other event celebration coins still sitting there despite its low mintage figure. Wedgwood is popular being its first coin and also their design has inspired "proof" coins or was it the other way round?

https://www.wedgwood.co.uk/content/be-inspired/royal-mint/

Edited by Taikonaut

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 8:44 PM, Sword said:

It is a better design than some but still doesn't do it for me. Good quality Wedgwood vases are characterised by sharp and detailed design. The design on particularly the BU version is neither sharp or detailed. 

The mintage numbers are low and so should sell out. But I still don't think it will maintain value in the secondary market. People who like Wedgwood would buy real Wedgwood. Kids wanting a Gruffalo would buy Gruffalo toys. Grown-ups still young at heart might want to have Gruffalo coins. Might be I am just being naive and people would still want them in a few years time?

So people who likes snowman should build one instead of buying a coin with the Snowman? Strange how its all sold out and costing an awful lot more in the secondary market :)

Edited by Taikonaut

6 hours ago, Taikonaut said:

So people who likes snowman should build one instead of buying a coin with the Snowman? Strange how its all sold out and costing an awful lot more in the secondary market :)

Building a snowman has not been possible in my part of the country for almost a decade now :)

The real test is if people still want to buy them in 5 or more years after issue. Time will tell. 

Edited by Sword

I think Sword is right ,unless its a coin design that goes into circulation by the thousands / millions people will have forgotten about them in a couple of years as they keep releasing other designs.Collectors who want one will buy one now and keep it in the same condition and i think the new collector wont pay or have to pay over the odds in a couple of years and will again just buy a new release.There will surely become a time were people get sick of seeing a different design every couple of weeks.

Can anyone tell me the gold value of the wedgwood please at todays prices ?

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

I think Sword is right ,unless its a coin design that goes into circulation by the thousands / millions people will have forgotten about them in a couple of years as they keep releasing other designs.Collectors who want one will buy one now and keep it in the same condition and i think the new collector wont pay or have to pay over the odds in a couple of years and will again just buy a new release.There will surely become a time were people get sick of seeing a different design every couple of weeks.

Can anyone tell me the gold value of the wedgwood please at todays prices ?

Gold value is £461 and the proof limited edition is being issued at £845.

• Thanks 1

By the way if anyones interested the wedgewood museum in stoke is really good and very underated as a tourist destination