British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob

Spink Tonight

Strong prices at Spink tonight for the Dr Erik Miller crowns sale. The small list of 37 lots made £386,700 hammer. Pick of the bunch a 1662 rose below bust described as struck like a proof - £42000 hammer.

Yes, that 1662 was a gem, though slightly inferior to the Spink plate.

When someone dressed in a dinner suit and bow tie starts offering you coins you just know deep down that it will be an expensive evening😂

• Haha 1

Crowns have always been expensive - apart from churchill and silver jubilee.

Yes, a few prices seemed 'over the top' to me - I'm glad I virtually completed this series some years ago, as there are a few I could never afford now.   

• Like 1

The peach of a Chas. II 6d went for £10,000 w/out premium. Good prices at Spink today.

Moving on to today's session - it really demonstrates the value of buying quality and holding. Nothing better for the market than a load of quality coins that have been off market for a couple generations. ;)

• Like 2

Rarity holds its value too - look at the recent price for the Ashby groat which wasn't even Fine - I guess quality is just a different sort of rarity (to me, paying £29k or so for a 1726 Crown is madness but if it's one of only 2 or 3 in that grade, I can see why some would go for it).  

4 hours ago, pokal02 said:

Rarity holds its value too - look at the recent price for the Ashby groat which wasn't even Fine - I guess quality is just a different sort of rarity (to me, paying £29k or so for a 1726 Crown is madness but if it's one of only 2 or 3 in that grade, I can see why some would go for it).  

The desire of an individual to acquire something that resonates may be the overriding factor in pushing up prices. It doesn't matter whether you are looking at the finest known by general acceptance, the coin with the highest label number in the population, or just having two bidders that are chasing a target for whatever reason. e.g. Derby has been a popular mint for a while, with high prices being obtained on the back of a small corpus of persistent bidders. The Gothic Crown is priced way beyond what you expect for the mintage. The Una & the Lion goes for silly money. At the other end of the scale, halfpennies remain unloved despite being the hardest of the three base denominations to acquire in the highest grades. It is the human desire for fashionable items in the broadest sense; but for those who are indifferent to fashion, well, another day is a different opportunity.

I wanted that A groat for a good few years too. Why? Because after Brady it was the only one available to pursue.

Edited by Rob