British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

mrbadexample

ebay photos

Yes, this new style of thumbnail seems to have appeared in the last few days, you can still enlarge to get the full picture but it is a pain if you just want to scan the lists.

Jerry

The thing is Jerry, I can't. I'm on a PC, and not all sellers have the zoom function enabled, so that's all I can see. Clicking on the picture doesn't open it up.

I don't know if it's the same on a tablet or phone? :huh:

Edit: I can see the picture if I use the ipad... 

Edited by mrbadexample

I've just tried this, and that's what I get too.

Safari and Firefox both.

Have you also noticed on these, and some other items where the thumbnails haven't been raised up, that the 'zoom' box is all wrong?

It doesn't actually go down to the bottom, even though the zoomed image is fine...

It's like Ebay is slowly adding this feature, for some crazy reason, or they actually have a problem- it's only on some auctions on a particular page....

It's really irritating if you want to look at the date. 

No use contacting them, though. Be like communicating with a moron.  

It's a bit like those reduced price stickers slapped over the barcode on a supermarket product.

Edited by 1949threepence

14 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

Have you also noticed on these, and some other items where the thumbnails haven't been raised up, that the 'zoom' box is all wrong?

It doesn't actually go down to the bottom, even though the zoomed image is fine...

Yes, I'd noticed but it wasn't really and issue. Having to steal the girlfriend's ipad is though...:D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

The thing is Jerry, I can't. I'm on a PC, and not all sellers have the zoom function enabled, so that's all I can see. Clicking on the picture doesn't open it up.

I don't know if it's the same on a tablet or phone? :huh:

Edit: I can see the picture if I use the ipad... 

I see, I mostly use an iPad, and you can enlarge the pics and clear the thumbnails. I will try my pc later. 

Jerry

Just now, jelida said:

I see, I mostly use an iPad, and you can enlarge the pics and clear the thumbnails. I will try my pc later. 

Doesn't work on a desktop. You just get what's shown above, and the thumbnails  stay there covering the date.

What I meant to say was that these high thumbnails appeared at the same time the zoom box went odd...

Just move on. The chances of finding a rare one are remote whether you can see the date or not. The inability to look at the occasional coin is not a question of life or death, so live with it. There is no chance of eBay doing anything unless it hurts them in the pocket, so the occasional useless listing won't change anything.

52 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

The one I originally linked to is still the same Mike. 

21 hours ago, Rob said:

Just move on. The chances of finding a rare one are remote whether you can see the date or not. The inability to look at the occasional coin is not a question of life or death, so live with it. There is no chance of eBay doing anything unless it hurts them in the pocket, so the occasional useless listing won't change anything.

It's not really about the rarity Rob, something like that can easily stop me distinguishing between two Freeman numbers, one of which I may have and one of which I may not. Or worse, cover an edge knock or other defect. It will affect their pocket, albeit in a statistically insignificant way, because I won't buy what I can't see. 

Edited by mrbadexample

20 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

The one I originally linked to is still the same Mike. 

I wonder if they received a complaint, Jon, and are just altering the landscape of new additions. Don't know. 

16 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

It's not really about the rarity Rob, something like that can easily stop me distinguishing between two Freeman numbers, one of which I may have and one of which I may not. Or worse, cover an edge knock or other defect. It will affect their pocket, albeit in a statistically insignificant way, because I won't buy what I can't see. 

100% agreed. 

I'm not sure this is relevant - when I view Ebay pictures, even when the bottoms are hidden by the thumbnails, I still get the white enlarge box when I hover over the pic. When I move this down I still see the all the parts of the picture, even the part covered, so I can't see the problem.

The only time you don't get the enlarge box is when the pixel count of the uploaded picture is too low to support enlargement - and that is a problem for the seller to resolve rather than Ebay.

23 minutes ago, Paddy said:

The only time you don't get the enlarge box is when the pixel count of the uploaded picture is too low to support enlargement - and that is a problem for the seller to resolve rather than Ebay.

That's very often Paddy. If ebay didn't put the thumbnails over the picture it wouldn't matter.

Much as I like to show close cropped images, for my opening shots I'm starting to use a pic with plenty of border with a hi res central item. 

example

38 minutes ago, bagerap said:

Much as I like to show close cropped images, for my opening shots I'm starting to use a pic with plenty of border with a hi res central item. 

example

That's still a good picture with plenty of detail on the coin. I don't think the border detracts.

The close cropped pics follow on 2nd & 3rd but at least potential buyers can see the whole coin at a glance. I also include a clickable image in the body of the listing via an HTML link.

HTML insert