British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

craigy

have you seen the price of a kew gardens ?

ok I know its ebay but why on earth would you pay around £120 for a kew gardens 50p ???   sold listings ebay

funny cause I still think they are listed about 4 quid in spinks   you could almost buy a 1981-4 proof half sovereign with that 

I've just looked at the Ebay list- hilarious.

This bubble must burst horribly soon, and when it does there will be blood on the streets.

Well, metaphoric blood anyway.  

Or something.

The Chinese fakers must be falling about laughing.

We need someone to stand up and speak out against this greedy nonsense.

If only Boris Johnson were alive.

• Haha 2

Dunno about Kew Gardens coins. Have you seen the entry cost to Kew gardens( GBP 16.50). Mt Cootha botanical Gardens here in Brisbane which are like the Kew glasshouse with no roof are free.

Edited by ozjohn
  • Like 2

funnily enough the editor of coin news touches on the subject of modern day coins in a secondary market in his notes in this months issue

IN THIS month’s magazine we include an interview with Richard Lobel of Coincraft. The interview was originally supposed to concentrate on Richard’s 60+ years in business, however, as is often the case with these things, the topic strayed a little onto to subject of the secondary market for new issues. Now there can be no doubt

that the new issues boom is creating a new generation of collector, people who are onceagain searching through their pockets and purses to find the latest Beatrix Potter 50p
or “Alphabet” 10p. There are hundreds, if not thousands of new collectors out there alleager to find the one Olympic coin they are missing or perhaps strike it rich with the Kew Gardens 50p or the dateless 20p. Our new book Spend it? Save it? which has sold over 10,000 copies through supermarkets and newsagents, is testament to just how popular thedecimal series is with the public. On the back of this, numerous marketing companies are now selling new issue thematic coins featuring a wide variety of subjects from flora andfauna through to politicians and Royal events; coin collecting is mainstream once again.

Now this is all well and good as long as the people collecting these coins are enjoying
themselves. If they are having fun forming a collection of new issues, or themed coins, or
anything else then who are we to argue that they are wrong? We “traditional” collectors collect a huge array of things and I
personally don’t see the appeal of some of them, but others do and that’s OK. The trouble, however, starts when the peoplewho have collected these newer coins come to sell them as there simply isn’t the secondary market for new issues that there is for, say, Athenian owls or Gothic crowns, and, as many of them are base metal, they don’t have an intrinsic value either.Thus you may have someone who has spent thousands of pounds on a collection only to find when he comes to sell he is offered far less than he spent. Dealers then worry that because they are offering so “little” they will get a bad rap. And attimes the collector will indeed, unfairly, blame the dealer and the hobby in general and this, ultimately, could turn them away from collecting for good.

Obviously dealers and auction houses can’t artificially create a secondary market—if they can’t sell a 1987 year set in 2019 they aren’t going to offer large sums for one, but that doesn’t stop some collectors from feeling put out. Should, perhaps, the companies that sell the coins in the first place buy them back? There is an argument that they can create, or at least sustain,a secondary market but then we have to ask: why should they? If I bought, say, an ornament, in John Lewis Ltd and in a couple of years’ time decided I didn’t want it any more, then going back to the shop and asking them to buy it back wouldbe pointless; and I certainly wouldn’t expect them to do it with an item that was made and marketed for a specific occasionthat has now passed. So what do I do? Well, my only option is to go to sell my ornament to someone who sells such things,but he recognises this piece is mass produced, was made for a specific occasion that has no relevance today and whilst it is still in great condition it isn’t the kind of thing that usually sells well secondhand. He therefore offers me far less for it than I paid—of course he does, and neither you nor I would expect anything different, so why people expect a different outcomewhen it comes to coins is a mystery. The fact is that standard new issue coins are a quality manufactured commodity just like ornaments, like jewellery, like watches, like anything you could buy in any high end department store. Certainly the precious metal strikes will always have an intrinsic metal worth and that worth may well increase as the price of thosemetals goes up, but ordinary BU coins should be looked at purely as fun things to collect and nothing more.

The problem comes, of course, when people buy coins, or indeed anything, as an investment—we try to steer well
clear of the “I” word in COIN NEWS and never recommend any collector buys with an eye to turning a profit. Sadly all

too often people ignore our advice and hope that the item they are purchasing will make them some serious cash in the future. Sometimes it can happen, certain modern coins do indeed go up in value but we shouldn’t assume they will do so automatically and nor should we assume they will do so quickly. Think about watches, think about handbags, think about jewellery, all of these things command a premium when sold new and make less money when sold on the secondary market, yes, proper “vintage” items will then start going up in price but that takes a while and of course it is only ever certain models/versions that fetch the big bucks and sadly we never know what these will be until years down the line. Richard’s interview shines a light on his view of the secondary market; our view is that it is often the perception that coins are unlike any other item and thus should automatically make money regardless that is the potentially damaging thing. What’s your view? We’d be delighted to hear from you.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, craigy said:

ok I know its ebay but why on earth would you pay around £120 for a kew gardens 50p ???   sold listings ebay

funny cause I still think they are listed about 4 quid in spinks   you could almost buy a 1981-4 proof half sovereign with that 

Spink is still a price guide, not the definitive on what a price is. People still don't get that its the currency issue that was rare and not the proof. Even the RM played on the fact that there was a gold Kew in the recent gold 50p set, obeyers claiming the "rare gold kew" was in the set is pure spin. Its the unwitting that buy into this type of sheeeeeeet.

• Like 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500-Kew-Gardens-Collectors-Commemoratives-for-xbargains4youx/153331883865?hash=item23b34adf59:g:p-UAAOSwUu5cM0E-

This is ridiculous.

Are these 'coin' pretending to be current legal UK tender?

What if I made some....what would happen to me?

Oh and some £2 coins while we're at it...?

Yes, I'd be locked up.

Do the 'Government' ( I use the term very loosely) do anything about these fakes?

No.

Why?.......

So......what if one were to make a pile of say, Chinese 'silver' Pandas.

Not illegal, surely?

Then spread them round the markets, destroy faith in those coins as 'investments',

and see what the Chinese say, and probably witness our side 

kow tow and do the Chinese Government's bidding and arrest me.

Hold onto your hats, the RM are about to pump another 50p set, this time in BU, contained within will be a Kew but it will be dated 2019 like the gold set was that the released about a month back

56142F91-26B6-4A95-A1CC-CE6EE135D26D.jpeg

Did a little video

• Like 2

I think Spink splitting their catalogue into two - decimals and predecimals - is the clearest sign that coin collecting now embraces two distinct groups: the traditional collectors like ourselves, and the modern commemorative collectors who also check their change for rarities and errors. In a way this is two separate hobbies with almost no overlap, except for those who enjoy both (there's some here of course); however those here who have some knowledge of the two markets wouldn't dream of buying moderns as an investment, as they know the foibles of the secondary market.

I remember something similar happened in the 70s and 80s when metal detecting first became popular, and a collecting group sprang up that were only interested in uncovering buried coins and not those bought and sold by traditional means. However, the difference then was that finds were genuine old coins and not something produced commercially just to make a profit for the producing organisation.

I don't know what the answer is, except perhaps to emphasise the differences between the two branches of coin collecting.

4 hours ago, azda said:

Did a little video

Content is useful, but your choice of opening image is sexist, immature, and has nothing to do with the subject. C'mon Dave, I'd like to think you're better than this.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

Content is useful, but your choice of opening image is sexist, immature, and has nothing to do with the subject. C'mon Dave, I'd like to think you're better than this.

My apologies Michael, still playing around with intros and the likes......

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, azda said:

My apologies Michael, still playing around with intros and the likes......

Top man.

Top Man.jpg

• Like 1

The Good news about the Kew 2009 50p is that is getting publicity and attracting more collectors. That in its self is good news for us. Once people start collecting 50p coins they often go onto different coins, including older pre-decimal coins and even Sovereigns. A few lucky people found a Kew in change so it has an added excitement for them and encourages others. The A-Z 10p did the same.

The bad news is the copy or fake Kew 50p's on eBay. Some sellers are at least calling them copies or slot fillers for those who don't have a £100 budget for a circulated 2009. But the UNC 2009's are now fetching £200 + and the 2009 Unc coin set are selling for around £230 now, because they include the 2009 Royal Coat of Arms 50p as well. 

Well the old Kew Gardens 50p still continues to attract media attention. Apparently the scarcest coin ever to be circulated !!!

link 

14 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Well the old Kew Gardens 50p still continues to attract media attention. Apparently the scarcest coin ever to be circulated !!!

link 

Many of the comments left after the article are pretty good. E.g. "Daily Mails New Years resolution should be don't recycle the same old coin articles again",  "How many times are they gonna peddle this. The writer of this article is desperately trying to shift one on eBay!!" etc

• Haha 1

Difficult subject in which we must consider the following:

1. Like any collection tastes change - values change - what is popular today becomes totally uncollectible in 20 years.

2. As for the new coins being made of metals that have no intrinsic value - what about the bronze pennies?

3. Some collect coins for their design, others for their history etc.

just a quick snapshot on peoples behaviour.

What got me hooked on pennies - was - a. my pocket size b. The design and c. The History.

So as a collector I am satisfied with my passion for the Bronze penny and will always continue to collect. Do I expect to make some money when 

I sell - yes hopefully. At best I hope not to loose money but realise that it could  turn on its head and no one wants them even at give-away prices.

Im just pleased that people are collecting coins again and hope some may delve deeper and start collecting predecimals.

• Like 1

I remember selling a couple of kews for less than a tenner- I must admit I dont think they are worth much more than £30 each even with all the hype.

Trouble is everyone seems to just follow everything that is written in the media and accept it as the truth .

They will start believeing that the EEC have banned bent bannanas next

I do believe that the 1954 penny is the rarest coin to have ever circulated ,it along with the 1952 halfcrown both were found in circulation  both are one of a kind and the kew gardens coin while pretty scarce I must admit 210, 000  is quite a lot , its just the media love making things up

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 1:46 AM, ozjohn said:

Dunno about Kew Gardens coins. Have you seen the entry cost to Kew gardens( GBP 16.50). Mt Cootha botanical Gardens here in Brisbane which are like the Kew glasshouse with no roof are free.

I got a 2-4-1 voucher

18 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

link 

Strange - my post has since disappeared.

I simply said that The Mail has put the 1926ME and 1919KN pennies firmly in their place.

5 hours ago, hazelman said:

Difficult subject in which we must consider the following:

1. Like any collection tastes change - values change - what is popular today becomes totally uncollectible in 20 years.

2. As for the new coins being made of metals that have no intrinsic value - what about the bronze pennies?

3. Some collect coins for their design, others for their history etc.

just a quick snapshot on peoples behaviour.

What got me hooked on pennies - was - a. my pocket size b. The design and c. The History.

So as a collector I am satisfied with my passion for the Bronze penny and will always continue to collect. Do I expect to make some money when 

I sell - yes hopefully. At best I hope not to loose money but realise that it could  turn on its head and no one wants them even at give-away prices.

Im just pleased that people are collecting coins again and hope some may delve deeper and start collecting predecimals.

If I ever come to sell, I'm pretty sure I will lose money. No way will I get back the full amount I paid in real terms, allowing for any intervening inflation. Maybe two thirds if I'm lucky. But that would be good enough for me as I will have held them in the meantime and got a great deal of genuine fulfillment and satisfaction from doing so.

I don't think pennies will ever get down to give away prices. Too much interest in them, including amongst young collectors on the facebook groups. 

4 hours ago, copper123 said:

I do believe that the 1954 penny is the rarest coin to have ever circulated ,it along with the 1952 halfcrown both were found in circulation  both are one of a kind and the kew gardens coin while pretty scarce I must admit 210, 000  is quite a lot , its just the media love making things up

Plus, of course, those very few Edward VIII threepences. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Strange - my post has since disappeared.

I simply said that The Mail has put the 1926ME and 1919KN pennies firmly in their place.

I've had them vanish as well. Very odd and somewhat inexplicable.

I don't take too much notice of what the media say about coins. It's obvious they don't really know their ACAS from their Nalgo. But I thought I would post the link for its amusement qualities.

• Like 1

My once-owned 1927 3d had obvious circulation wear on it - 15,022 from memory?

hazelman put it well- the history in my pocket in the 60's as a kid was fascinating.

I remember so clearly being given an 1860 penny in the Co-op on the corner of Crowther street  ( gone) in Kidderminster 

in about 1967 and just staring at it in wonderment- how could this still be in use after over 100 years???

I suppose people think the Very Rare 1971 penny is ancient....

A 1934 crown has appeared very worn as well.................I personally think these circulated , others think differently , it could have been a pocket piece as well I surpose

6 hours ago, copper123 said:

Maybe misleading the public would be a more true statement .