British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
VickySilver

Edward VII Coins at BSJ - How Did the "Biggies" Fare

Just wondering if anybody attended last Wednesday's BSJ sale and how things went. What about the alleged proof copper (lots 109 & 112), or the 1903-1905 2/6 coins?  I was unable to rouse myself at an early enough hour to watch or, heaven forbid, bid!

I picked up three sixpences; 1903 (MS66), 1908 (MS65+) and 1910 (MS66). All three are upgrades and this completes my EdVII sixpence series.

Very nice, and good shooting there. I have not bought (satisfactorily) anything for well nigh a year. 

BTW, I am not at all sure that the 1905 shilling based on pictures is superior to the Norweb specimen...I will say not. Also on the 1905 halfcrown, at least from the pictures, does not appear superior to a couple of the MS 63s that I have seen.

54 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Very nice, and good shooting there. I have not bought (satisfactorily) anything for well nigh a year. 

BTW, I am not at all sure that the 1905 shilling based on pictures is superior to the Norweb specimen...I will say not. Also on the 1905 halfcrown, at least from the pictures, does not appear superior to a couple of the MS 63s that I have seen.

To a large extent I'm now 'cherry picking' my acquisitions, filling gaps and upgrading. I would say that the main areas of my collection are 80% complete. Of course there are still plenty of coins to buy and pre-George II to expand into (I already have quite a few). There are also targets of opportunity. The penny I bought at Heritage had a low estimate of $75. I stuck a bid of $35 in and got it at $32.

Ah, which penny? Didn't realise you favoured those?? As though not enough penny chasers around. LOL

1 minute ago, VickySilver said:

Ah, which penny? Didn't realise you favoured those?? As though not enough penny chasers around. LOL

George V, 1928, MS65 BN.

I'm just building a small George V collection but on an opportunistic basis. I'm still a sixpence collector first and foremost.

On 3/23/2019 at 10:51 PM, jaggy said:

George V, 1928, MS65 BN.

I'm just building a small George V collection but on an opportunistic basis. I'm still a sixpence collector first and foremost.

@jaggy very interesting Fullerton pattern sixpence soon up for auction at Künker. A beautiful rarity with interesting history.

https://coinsweekly.com/counterfeited-coins-or-not-counterfeited-coins-that-is-the-question/

I read with interest of Matthew Young’s role in the creation of the patterns. I’ve a couple of coins that have passed through his hands. Always good to connect some dots.

(I’m sure that the recent discussion on how best to handle the other half after a hefty purchase will be useful to the lucky winner. Methinks the €10,000 reserve will be blown out of the water.)

• Like 1