British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  

any stamp collectors on here ?   I used to collect stamps as a child,  a friend and me used to go to the monthly stamp fair at fullwell cross library Barkingside in the late 80's,  and got friendly with a local stamp dealer that lived near us  in Upney. , so we didn't have the usual fair for a childs collection, was all about phosphor lines and nice cancellation marks, he used to give us 1000's of George v ones to go thru looking for the different colour backgrounds etc,  Bernard Stibbard, doubt he is still alive now

My late father in law was a stamp dealer. Died just as I met his daughter. Although he'd retired, he never had the chance to sell his shop stock.  End result, I know sod all about stamps but there's around 45, 000 GB and Commonwealth stamps in my loft. And herself is always saying "when are you going to get round to them?"

2 hours ago, bagerap said:

My late father in law was a stamp dealer. Died just as I met his daughter. Although he'd retired, he never had the chance to sell his shop stock.  End result, I know sod all about stamps but there's around 45, 000 GB and Commonwealth stamps in my loft. And herself is always saying "when are you going to get round to them?"

I've got one of those too.

Maybe not 45000, but probably 10000 in a 6' high pile of boxes.

We had an extracurricular stamp club at school, organised by the Geography master. His albums were extraordinary, he painstakingly annotated them in a beautiful gothic script. I developed a passion for penny reds, tuppeny blues and first day covers for years after that.

All now relegated to the loft and gathering dust.

My late father collected stamps and I have a few albums. They are well down my interest list. My grandfather amassed cigarette cards and was a keen photographer when serving in the RAF both collections interest me. 

2 hours ago, Diaconis said:

We had an extracurricular stamp club at school, organised by the Geography master. His albums were extraordinary, he painstakingly annotated them in a beautiful gothic script. I developed a passion for penny reds, tuppeny blues and first day covers for years after that.

All now relegated to the loft and gathering dust.

yes our history teacher was the same, we had a stamp club and that's where it came from, 

Used to collect and still have some stamps.

I still put aside any that I get in the mail - not uncommon to see 30 year old stamps that get used for postage these days (which seems a bit short-sighted to me but old mint stamps are cheaper than current new stamps). I've seen New Zealand and British stamps used in Australia too (these days the post office workers don't pay too much attention apparently) and the other day I got mail from Italy with lira-denominated stamps.

During the lockdown, I have started collecting signed first day covers. They often only cost a few pounds each and you can pick up attractive souvenirs on events you are interested in. It is also an affordable and safe way of getting autographs of well known personalities like politicians,  VC winners, authors, actors etc.

For some reason, I find the postmarks somewhat more interesting than the stamps themselves. Here is a selection:

218385533_PostmarksII-Copy-Copy.jpg.dffa55eabbbd3912cfe6c5ca9f00421a.jpg

• Like 2

2015341299_autographsportrait-Copy(2).jpg.17c469446dc8ef57e6185b8a0c5ce81d.jpgAnd these are the autographs on my first day covers.

• Like 3