British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

SRSNUM

SRSNUM

BELOW FIND AN EXAMPLE OF AN 1860 FARTHING FROM MY COLLECTION.  ANY COMMENTS APPRECIATED.  SEE DIGITAL IMAGES.  TRUST THEY MAY PROVE USEFUL.  FOR REFERENCE, THE FINAL IMAGES ARE THE TOOTHED, REVERSE B(1 LARGE ROCK) AND OBVERSE 3 (5 BERRIES), OF THE 1860 FARTHING.

GREATBRITAINFARTHING1860OBV.jpg

GREATBRITAINFARTHING1860OBV2.jpg

GREATBRITAINFARTHING1860OBV3.jpg

GREATBRITAINFARTHING1860OBV4.jpg

GREATBRITAINFARTHING1860OBV5.jpg

GREATBRITAINFARTHING1860REV.jpg

GREATBRITAINFARTHING1860REV2.jpg

GREATBRITAINFARTHING1860REV3.jpg

GREATBRITAINFARTHING1860REV4.jpg

GREATBRITAINFARTHING1860REV5.jpg

GREATBRITAINFARTHING1860REV6.jpg

GREATBRITAINFARTHING1860REV6A.jpg

GREATBRITAINFARTHING1860REV6B.jpg

GREATBRITAINFARTHING1860REV6C.jpg

GREATBRITAINFARTHING1860REV7.jpg

GREATBRITAINFARTHING1860REV8.jpg

GREATBRITAINFARTHING1860REV9.jpg

GREATBRITAINFARTHING1860REV10.jpg

GREATBRITAINFARTHING1860REV11.jpg

GREATBRITAINFARTHING1860REV12.jpg

GREATBRITAINFARTHING1860REV13.jpg

GREATBRITAINFARTHING1860REV14.jpg

GREATBRITAINFARTHING1860REV15.jpg

GREATBRRITAINFARTHING1860_T00THED_B_REVERSE.jpg

GREATBRITAIN1860_FARTHING_OBVERSE_3.jpg

• Like 1

How on earth did you manage to get so many pictures into one post, I often give up trying to put 2 images into my posts. 😲

Edited by Coinery

2 hours ago, Coinery said:

How on earth did you manage to get so many pictures into one post, I often give up trying to put 2 images into my posts. 😲

I would imagine URLs to a hosting site.

33 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

I would imagine URLs to a hosting site.

Ah, yes, doh! Thanks, Non :)

23 minutes ago, Coinery said:

Ah, yes, doh! Thanks, Non :)

Except that all of the URLs are predecimal.com.  Wouldn't externally hosted pictures retain those 3rd party URLs?

• Like 2

The software supplied with my digital microscope allowed me to take the original digital images and crop them.  The 'image size' command allowed further reduction in the number of kilobytes of each image.  The total amounted to 485.62 K.  Seems that the resolution proved adequate.

TrustCG1860-VB-2aB-Rev-1.jpg.f2c05b10ac7013d5dbe1b363348546fa.jpg the following is a better image of the 3b reverse of the 1860 farthing. 

I think the last two images are the best - they show the coin in its natural tone and are a sufficient size. (Probably didn't really need most of the others.)

Nice farthing.

Edited by Peckris 2

The last two images are from the aboutfarthings website.  The balance of the images are the coin in my collection.  Trust this makes my description clearer.  

1860 TB farthings often show a week strike, they still suffered with similar probs till about 1872 when they started to produce a better end product , although there was a steady improvement from 1860 onwards.

The major problem was the beaded border and the relative hardness of the bronze coupled with the size of the farthing  , steady progress was made for 12 years or so .

Pennies and halfpence seemed to suffer less .

• Like 1