British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

RobertScott

Possible Edward I or II Coin

I was wondering if anybody might be able to help me. I have a Edward Plantagenet coin but I am finding it very difficult with my limited knowledge to decide which class (or indeed which king) it is. It is a London mint.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Robert

Untitled.jpg

Class 10ab London( the old Fox bros 10b) have a look at my Grunal Moneta facebook photo albums for hi rez photos and photo illustrations of all the Edward I penny sub-classes you will find it useful   https://www.facebook.com/654941368041899/photos/a.664540367081999/664541107081925/?type=3

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Coinery said:

Edward I class 10,

haha I reckon if I  quoted Edward I class 10 f i'd be right in 99% of id's lol

why does the class 10 seem to be the most common ? 

i'm sure I read in the great re coinage of Edward I something like 130,000,000 pennies were struck ?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, craigy said:

haha I reckon if I  quoted Edward I class 10 f i'd be right in 99% of id's lol

why does the class 10 seem to be the most common ? 

i'm sure I read in the great re coinage of Edward I something like 130,000,000 pennies were struck ?

You’d be right nearly 50% of the time at least ;)

You should’ve stuck your neck out and had a go :D 

• Haha 1

In this example, with the legend, incurved letters, and bifoliate crown (that’s not one of the easily identifiable Ed II crowns), it’s a no-brainer for Class 10. 

With Class 10, for me at least, I need to then sit down with a bit of paper and wade my way through the resources to determine and feel happy with the sub-class...it’s a pig to get right otherwise, for me at least.

The rest of the series is easy blinkin’ peasy! 😛 

• Like 2

I get as far as Henry 3 then i'm stumped until Edward the boy king lol 

On 3/21/2019 at 10:27 PM, Coinery said:

In this example, with the legend, incurved letters, and bifoliate crown (that’s not one of the easily identifiable Ed II crowns), it’s a no-brainer for Class 10. 

With Class 10, for me at least, I need to then sit down with a bit of paper and wade my way through the resources to determine and feel happy with the sub-class...it’s a pig to get right otherwise, for me at least.

The rest of the series is easy blinkin’ peasy! 😛 

You're just a pro Stu. The class 10s baffle the heck out of me... even with the Galata Guide and Dave's Grunal page I still can't get a handle on them 😕 

2 hours ago, Descartes said:

You're just a pro Stu.

Dave's Grunal page

Ha ha, not in the least, just too much time on my hands, that’s all! :D 

Is Dave’s page the FB one, I’ve not seen it?

38 minutes ago, Descartes said:

I can’t see any specific pages for the Edwards on his website, though, and the FB link is broken. But I’m modern, I’ll track it down :D 

• Like 1

Found it! :)

Great resource for images, but you’d need to know your coins first before it could be really useful. It would be a massive undertaking now that they’re up, but having the class and sub-class on the images would be useful.

Edit: Ah, got it...click on the image and you get a nice big write up. Well done, Dave, must have taken ages :) 

Edited by Coinery
  • Like 1

search facebook for grunal moneta then access the photo albums

• Like 1