British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

1700 Farthing - is this the RRITANNIA variant?

It seems to have been a week for farthings. This one came in a job lot from an auction - I got it hoping this would be an upgrade to my standard 1700, but when I looked closer I spotted the apparent RRITANNIA version. Is this what it is supposed to look like or is this just a damaged die? My other one has a very clearly completed B.

1700 F 1 Red.JPG

1700 F 2 Red.JPG

1700 F 3 Red.JPG

Doesn't appear the same as RR in the Colin Cooke collection.

More like the normal issue.

Thanks for that Peter. Is there somewhere I can view that collection? I have tried his selling website and can't see a 1700 RRITANNIA there.

9 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

From the home page it's Other, then Collections Paddy: http://www.colincooke.com/collections/ccc_williamiii.html

Thanks for that - very useful site! Also answers my question on the other farthing thread about 1699 with no dot before or after the date. There is one, number 527, and it is listed as Extremely rare - so that is a good one for my collection too!

With the CC copper/bronze collections they are a go to. The Nicholson collection of 1/2d's is especially detailed.

Peck did say there are many minor variants with early cu. I weigh each of mine thus usually end up keeping the lot. You can't be OCD collecting cu.

Well done on your 527 discovery.:)

• Like 1