British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

1937 proof set

guy is asking a lot of money for this set 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GR-BRIT-George-VI-1937-AR-AE-Nickel-Brass-15Pc-Proof-Set-PCGS-PR64-PR66/173275070541?hash=item2857ffc04d:g:rqUAAOSw~O1a1gVU  

guess its cause all the coins are slabbed ?, but not all the silvers are cameo and I have noticed this in other 1937 sets, seems the crown, half crown, florin, and sixpence can be found in cameo but not the shillings and silver 3d (not the maundy 3d), and varying levels of cameo in the bronze which could just be new dies ???   as we know the royal mint are now chucking out bullion and  BU coins with varying levels of cameo, is the what they did with the proof sets from 37 onwards ? 

has anyone ever seen a full cameo 37 set or owned one ?

Edited by craigy

12 minutes ago, craigy said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GR-BRIT-George-VI-1937-AR-AE-Nickel-Brass-15Pc-Proof-Set-PCGS-PR64-PR66/173275070541?hash=item2857ffc04d:g:rqUAAOSw~O1a1gVU  

guess its cause all the coins are slabbed ?, but not all the silvers are cameo and I have noticed this in other 1937 sets, seems the crown, half crown, florin, and sixpence can be found in cameo but not the shillings and silver 3d (not the maundy 3d), and varying levels of cameo in the bronze which could just be new dies ???   as we know the royal mint are now chucking out bullion and  BU coins with varying levels of cameo, is the what they did with the proof sets from 37 onwards ? 

Atlas are expensive at the best of times

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, azda said:

Atlas are expensive at the best of times

They are but they do have some quality items, I'll give them that. The photography is also very good.

1 hour ago, craigy said:

Is it me missing something very obvious, or is there a photo of only one of the 15 coins in that link?

7 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Is it me missing something very obvious, or is there a photo of only one of the 15 coins in that link?

i think its due to being so many individual coins they have listed all the UIN so somebody can look at the pictures on the PCGS site.

Not a bargain basement spot....I've my own pet peeves with Atlas - the principal there can really be a b---- at times. He's also got an outrageous business model wherein he buys a bit high and then frequently triples, quadruples or worse the price on his list. I have seen some of them to be recycled in auctions at Heritage, etc. when he does not get his crazy price.

• Like 1