British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

the Rm let slip the  snowman & gruffalo 50p's will not be entering circulation,  could they become future kew gardens ??? or is kew something that just caught the publics imagination ???  still curious to see the mintage figures for the last couple of years as I suspect there will be a lot of £2's and 50'p and possibly definitive's that have not been issued for circulation, 

I know I go on bout the modern stuff coming out but its nice to hear other peoples views and opinions 

I read somewhere else on here that the 2017 and 2018 £2 coins will not be in circulation, and I am pretty certain the Gruffalo and Snowman will also stay in packets.

I have always liked to get one of each coin each year to stash away, but with so many coming out now that are not circulation, I will stick to circulation only in the future. As far as I am concerned, if it is never in circulation, it is not a "coin" just a gewgaw.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, craigy said:

the Rm let slip the  snowman & gruffalo 50p's will not be entering circulation,  could they become future kew gardens ??? or is kew something that just caught the publics imagination ???  still curious to see the mintage figures for the last couple of years as I suspect there will be a lot of £2's and 50'p and possibly definitive's that have not been issued for circulation, 

I know I go on bout the modern stuff coming out but its nice to hear other peoples views and opinions 

Hi Craigy.

I also enjoy collecting the 50ps. I'm up to date with all the UK ones and have recently got myself the gruffalo BU (from The Westminster Collection). I collect the Isle of Man and Gibraltar 50ps too. I still have a few gaps in the Christmas issues, but they're great fun to collect, and they seem to be going up in value if Ebay is anything to go by.

I really liked the Snowman 50p - I got it for a Christmas present. It's a shame it's not going into circulation, as I rather liked the design, and thought it was a cool thing to commemorate. I'm not so sure about the gruffalo to be honest, but I had to get it for the sake of completion!

I tend to buy the annual BU year sets, and then get anything else currency, but for completion of 50p's I do also get the others. That may stop soon though as the amount now seeming to appear literally for the sake of the RM making money is getting beyond fun.

As for mintage figures, some new pages on the RM Site show them for the coin it's advertising now.

The snowman and gruffallo will not be limited in number, so there could be millions of them.

That to me is 100% printing money.

At least with the 50 years of 50p sets you knew you were getting something which had a finite amount.

There is an error Snowman on the proof, the hat changed colour during minting from blue to green, I assume the ink started to run out during the minting run.

I was hoping that we’d get a pinned topic on here for more modern coinage that could be expanded into gold and sliver and the rest of it. Still waiting for a moderator to maybe do something.

11 hours ago, azda said:

There is an error Snowman on the proof, the hat changed colour during minting from blue to green, I assume the ink started to run out during the minting run.

I was hoping that we’d get a pinned topic on here for more modern coinage that could be expanded into gold and sliver and the rest of it. Still waiting for a moderator to maybe do something.

yes i saw that , someone was moaning ncg didn't slab it as an error,     

everyone seems to be going mad for the goat of beaufort coin, in silver and gold, wonder why 

1 hour ago, craigy said:

everyone seems to be going mad for the goat of beaufort coin, in silver and gold, wonder why 

That would be Henry VII ? :D

1 hour ago, craigy said:

Lol, Yale of Beaufort. Mintages have dropped first of all for the 1/4 gold 1oz silver proof and the 1oz, 2nd, the last 3 designs were pretty weak, this one is a fairly decent representation. Not looking forward to the Dog though, looks like the dog out of the simpsons.

My problems with the Snowman, etc. is that they are severely watering down and "Canadianizing" modern Royal Mint issues in general and are propagating the problems brought up by "Strike on the Day" sovereigns, gimmicky finishes (like the mock matte finish), etc. 

Then the Britannia changes designs every year to declining mintages and NOBODY CARES - well, almost nobody. Then throw in the odd Prince's 5th birthday coin, etc.   TOO MUCH MERDE!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, azda said:

Lol, Yale of Beaufort. Mintages have dropped first of all for the 1/4 gold 1oz silver proof and the 1oz, 2nd, the last 3 designs were pretty weak, this one is a fairly decent representation. Not looking forward to the Dog though, looks like the dog out of the simpsons.

yale of beaufort reminds me of the blackadder episode the queen of spains beard episode haha 

Although the mint is producing "too many" novelty coins, the benefit may well be that more people are "bitten" by the collection bug before we eventually hit the cashless society which will be the final nail in the coffin of collecting for millennials. Unless you count bitcoins........

1 minute ago, secret santa said:

Although the mint is producing "too many" novelty coins, the benefit may well be that more people are "bitten" by the collection bug before we eventually hit the cashless society which will be the final nail in the coffin of collecting for millennials. Unless you count bitcoins........

There is a downside to this, the overpricing, the hype, and the eventual realisation that they've paid over the odds and left holding something that's only worth 50% of what they've paid

7 hours ago, VickySilver said:

My problems with the Snowman, etc. is that they are severely watering down and "Canadianizing" modern Royal Mint issues in general and are propagating the problems brought up by "Strike on the Day" sovereigns, gimmicky finishes (like the mock matte finish), etc. 

Then the Britannia changes designs every year to declining mintages and NOBODY CARES - well, almost nobody. Then throw in the odd Prince's 5th birthday coin, etc.   TOO MUCH MERDE!

Totally agree with this, pimping Sovereigns with a shield here and a matt finish there and a plain edge strike on the day is just the RM trying to exploit and tart up just a normal everyday sovereign, if they really wanted to do something, then they should look at changing the REV design, a little radical i know, but th modern sovs are beginning to remind me of the American silver eagles, same ol, same ol. It was one of the reasons i liked the QB series, there's a design change every release, although, they aren't strong designs, but at least its fresh and new......

Edited by azda

So, one of the designs of the QB is the Greyhound, i think this one will not be so strong judging by the representation on the RM website, it reminded me of the dog from the Simpsons.

Dog.jpg

• Haha 1

And the Yale representation from drawing to coin, i think they got this pretty accurate.

Yale.jpg

I agree with azda that the last QB design is rather nice.

However Richard, this business of bringing out so much tart (garbage a better term IMO) seems to have been trialed, as far as luring collectors to the fold, by the Canadians and Americans amongst others and am not so sure of the successful results in their cases. As was said elsewhere on these forums, could they not have at least issued the gruffalo and snowman as medals & perhaps toned down the numerous sovereign offerings just a bit?

2 hours ago, VickySilver said:

However Richard, this business of bringing out so much tart (garbage a better term IMO) seems to have been trialed, as far as luring collectors to the fold, by the Canadians and Americans amongst others and am not so sure of the successful results in their cases.

I don't think it is about luring collectors into the fold but just desperate attempts to make some quick money by sponging off any popular character / event. 

Putting the Gruffalo on the back of a 50p was just wrong. It is simply giving Magic Light Pictures free advertisement in the hope of making some money by using their image. The Gruffalo is not any more deserving than characters in Harry Potter or James Bond movies or a pot of Colman's mustard or a Pukka Pie. 

Edited by Sword

I do rather like the Yale reverse but would just prefer if the creature has not caught measles. Seriously, does anyone know the significance of the spots? Images of the Yale don't always have spots unless it is used in heraldry and I think fur looks better than spots.

1939048444_1-Copy.jpg.6a136553e061c6a9f990c788a0ccd3cd.jpg

first to call peppa pig on a 50p for 2020, if i am right i get a 1967 ms65 penny from you all

• Haha 1

im not asking much, average price on ebay for one of those is like £250

Yes but the plastic coffin must cost £247.20 leaving 80p postage and 1.99 for the coin (and perhaps even a little extra for electricity to tone....).

At the end of the day 99% of these coins are only going to be worth their metal value on the secondary market...doesn't matter what shiny boxes or plastic coffins they are in ...all the marketing hype from the likes of RM, Westminster Mint , London Mint, Hamilton & Byrne and all the others wont make a jot of difference when it comes to resale.

Oh and I was offered recently with all the accompanying marketing hype , two crowns - 1935 and 1937 Crown ....can you believe the price at £149 !!...that's a 1000% over market value ......I'm in the wrong business for sure......

7 hours ago, Colin88 said:

At the end of the day 99% of these coins are only going to be worth their metal value on the secondary market...doesn't matter what shiny boxes or plastic coffins they are in ...all the marketing hype from the likes of RM, Westminster Mint , London Mint, Hamilton & Byrne and all the others wont make a jot of difference when it comes to resale.

If you pay 50% or more of the original sale price on the secondary market, you've been done.

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:25 PM, Peckris 2 said:

If you pay 50% or more of the original sale price on the secondary market, you've been done.

Err... I would suggest that if you pay 50% over the original, massively inflated sale price that you would be a money launderer or on drugs ...or possibly both..

• Like 1