British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

Henry VII Groat without Mintmark

More midnight oil from you, Rob! :)

Such a variety of busts, hair, and crowns too. Quite an incredible little run.

Hope you don’t mind Rob, but I’m going to copy this into a new post, just to make it searchable in the future?

Here is the dilemma - this is the Henry VII Groat I currently have, which I believe is S2198a. It is a more common issue but fills the bill in terms of a reasonably decent Henry VII coin - so how much should I invest in an upgrade?

By the way, in reviewing this coin I notice that the devices around the mint lettering on the reverse appear as 3 sprogged circles a bit like the modern Nuclear symbol, whereas the pictures in Spink suggest a 5 petalled flower - cinquefoil. Is this another known variation?

Henry VII Groat S2198a 1 Red.JPG

Henry VII Groat S2198a 2 Red.JPG

Henry VII coins use trefoils, saltires and rosettes for stops where these are applied.

You need more literature. ;)

Thanks Rob!

Yes, I probably could do with more literature but Hammered are a bit of a sideline for me, so I resist spending lots of money on books on it when I would rather spend it on coins.

Besides, with experts available online...

😉

A few hundred pounds and you can cover most bases.