British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

Stephen Hawkings 50p

next roll out of the roll mint presses, another coin not in the annual set 

Cool design though. 

Hawking 50p.jpg

I wonder if this mean that Hawking is not going to be on the back of the new £50 note?

Any coin featureing steven hawkins has got to be out of this world

45 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Any coin featureing steven hawkins has got to be out of this world

So true, hope the price isn't astronomical

I'm surprised they didn't put a wheelchair on the reverse. Surely that is synonymous with SH for the masses in a way that black holes never will be?

4 minutes ago, Rob said:

I'm surprised they didn't put a wheelchair on the reverse. Surely that is synonymous with SH for the masses in a way that black holes never will be?

well lets hope the earth never comes in contact with a black hole

14 minutes ago, Rob said:

Too easily confused with Olympic boccia? :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rob said:

A portrait of SH in his trademark wheel chair would indeed be a more powerful image than a stylised representation of a black hole in my view

Or a wheelchair hurtling head first into a black hole. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Rob said:

Or a wheelchair hurtling head first into a black hole. :)

SH would probably have found it funny. But imagine the Brexit coin designs after that. :-) 

Just managed to get onto the RM website and apart from the BU pack all have been sold out,  even the BBC was 'advertising' the coins release on Breakfast TV.  Result another another frenzy on the RM website .    Coins already on ebay!

Just locked in on 3 silver proof and 1 gold

1 hour ago, sabrejv said:

Just managed to get onto the RM website and apart from the BU pack all have been sold out,  even the BBC was 'advertising' the coins release on Breakfast TV.  Result another another frenzy on the RM website .    Coins already on ebay!

£858k sold out almost overnight, not a bad little earner for the RM there, one can easily see their interest in producing these commemoratives.

Much prefer the gold to the silver, but got the silver proofs for €68 each, i have a contact 😉

Screenshot 2019-03-12 at 11.46.06.png

4 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

They went on sale at 7AM, pretty much another 30minute gold rush.

How many was there Kev ,these and the gruffolo one are selling on ebay almost every minute ,just shows how many  decimal collectors there are 😮

Edited by PWA 1967

2 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

They went on sale at 7AM, pretty much another 30minute gold rush.

even better👍🏽

that’s £229k in raw materials leaving £656k for design packaging and marketing and a ‘little’ profit. Sweet😋

2 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

How many was there Kev ,these and the gruffolo one are selling on ebay almost every minute ,just shows how many of decimal collectors there are 😮

5500 Silver proof and 400 gold, there's also a Piedfort silver proof 2500 mintage

Edited by azda

Just now, azda said:

5500 Silver proof and 400 gold, there's also a Piedfort silver proof

Thanks Dave but do you know how many of just the normal BU ones that they are all buying ?

Cheers Dave -  2500 piedfort.

As usual, BU is unlimited so no rush.

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist
  • Thanks 1

Just now, PWA 1967 said:

Thanks Dave but do you know how many of just the normal BU ones that they are all buying ?

Its the proof that people buying

if it is limited, I hope they announce it fairl soon - no limit was specified - so it leaves me thinking it will be like the snowman / gruffalo et'al .. money from whoever wants to buy it.

Yes the quick profit is teh silver proof, they go really fast and turn up on ebay in minutes at up to 3x the price