British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

copper123

Found in circulation £2

I found this 2015 £2 coin in my change the other day , to be honest it looks like a proof or at least an ex set or something , the thing that made me check it twice was the prooflike appearence , it just seemed interesting .

After checking out the coin I suddenly realised it has no "STANDING ON THE SHOULDERS OF GIANTS" on the edge this is really dificult to picture but trust me there is just the normal reeded edge and no sign of the letters which appear on all £2 coins 1998-2015 to the best of my (little) knowledge.

2015obv.jpg

2015rev.jpg

I strongly suspect this is one of the fakes knocking around. I have several other examples - one of Magna Carta and one of the HMS Belfast. In each case the appearance at first is proof-like with very shiny fields and a cameo effect to the bust. Further examination turns up edge errors and other "not quite right" features.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I strongly suspect this is one of the fakes knocking around. I have several other examples - one of Magna Carta and one of the HMS Belfast. In each case the appearance at first is proof-like with very shiny fields and a cameo effect to the bust. Further examination turns up edge errors and other "not quite right" features.

MMMMMmmmmm yes the mouth and eyes dont seem right as welll , it is a posabillity

If it is a fake it would certainly be accepted by 99% of the population

I got a fake £1 coin in change the other day. I said to the cashier "Excuse me love, this is a Euro". :lol:

27 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

I got a fake £1 coin in change the other day. I said to the cashier "Excuse me love, this is a Euro". :lol:

Should have kept it - it will soon be worth more! :lol:

• Like 2

most certainly fake,   100 per cent 

• Like 1

100% fake.

I have definitely seen better ones that that recently.

Having just checked some chinese sites I'm also alarmed at the improvements to many Victoria and Edward coins too, might be worth while taking a look and using the term "uk copy coin" to get familiar with whats coming into the marketplace.