British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

beautiful crown

Just a slight shame about the scratch on the cheek. :(

12 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

i didnt notice that till you pointed it out, now its all i can see lol 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, craigy said:

i didnt notice that till you pointed it out, now its all i can see lol 

First thing I clocked... I still need one for my type example.

19 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Yes, that's a shame. And there is also the ding above eye and mark on the nose.

My type example has a hairline too which is much more obvious in the photo than in real life. 

Interestingly, the second one in the date is missing the bottom right serif in both mine and the colin cooke coin.

1369513930_1(1)-Copy.thumb.jpg.4931990abc70d69b4758cb8f9684f4b8.jpg1405600835_1(2)-Copy.thumb.jpg.624c65bd278c71a06a3fa5a2f9a0d731.jpg

Edited by Sword
  • Like 1

CGS photos of my crown where the hairline is not visible.

1284872903_1818crownobserve-Copy.jpg.21d49456546152892828f629fcd6966f.jpg1383780258_1818crownreverse-Copy.jpg.28d4c99398ad99db24ead31cccf7eb27.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sword said:

CGS photos of my crown where the hairline is not visible.

1284872903_1818crownobserve-Copy.jpg.21d49456546152892828f629fcd6966f.jpg1383780258_1818crownreverse-Copy.jpg.28d4c99398ad99db24ead31cccf7eb27.jpg

that has to be one of the most beautiful coins ever struck 

On 3/6/2019 at 9:09 PM, craigy said:

the 1819 crown is stunning,   gorgeous coin 

http://www.colincooke.com/coin_pages/crowns.html

Agreed. The reverse is an exceptionally good design on an otherwise very nice coin.

Not only is the design beautiful, each coin was struck multiple times and so all the details are sharp. Many examples have no contact marks or tiny rim nicks at all as they were put aside and never entered circulation; the odd hairline or slight wear due to handling and storage in the last 200 years. I can't think of another currency silver issue minted to such high standard.

I read somewhere that they were delivered individually wrapped - not something you would associate with a currency piece.

The production standard for these crowns was high - I get the feeling it's relatively hard to tell the difference between a proof (if they exist!) and a well-struck proof-like currency piece, and many of these coins look well polished.

9 hours ago, Rob said:

I read somewhere that they were delivered individually wrapped - not something you would associate with a currency piece.

Davies, pg 17