British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Cliff

Halfcrown description query

In Maurice Bull's "English Silver Coinage since 1649" he  shows the number of harp strings and billets per silver currency coin year/types in the "Varieties, comments etc" column of his description tables (eg 6s - 9b).  The billet count ceased wef George 1 and was replaced by a hts count, whilst retaining the harp string count (eg 6s - 5hts) and continued through George II, after which they stop.

Forgive my meanderings but what are hts's?

30 minutes ago, Cliff said:

In Maurice Bull's "English Silver Coinage since 1649" he  shows the number of harp strings and billets per silver currency coin year/types in the "Varieties, comments etc" column of his description tables (eg 6s - 9b).  The billet count ceased wef George 1 and was replaced by a hts count, whilst retaining the harp string count (eg 6s - 5hts) and continued through George II, after which they stop.

Forgive my meanderings but what are hts's?

Probably not much help, but I don't suppose there's an abbreviations page towards the back of the book, is there? 

If not somebody on here will know straight off, I'd bet. 

Tried that Mike and thumbed through my motley collection of books to no avail. Also tried the web for any heraldic clues etc but no go. I recall I had to do quite a bit of fumbling about a while ago to find out what a billet is.

Try hearts. The Hanoverian shield has hearts on it as noted on the 1787 coinage, so would be appropriate for anything commencing with G1.

• Like 1

Smack on the button, thanks Rob.  Plain as daylight now they're pointed out to me but it needed your expertise to open my eyes!