British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

it gets worse

I see it is “already marked as a red hot collectible”. Every opportunity to get your fingers burned then.

Jerry

• Haha 1

I don't see why it bothers you. It's not even a coin, just a shiny gewgaw. :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

I don't see why it bothers you. It's not even a coin, just a shiny gewgaw. :rolleyes:

cause people will waste hard earned money on a 3 quids worth of silver that will never be worth anymore, 

44 minutes ago, craigy said:

cause people will waste hard earned money on a 3 quids worth of silver that will never be worth anymore, 

Yes i agree .

Yesterday i was looking at a full page advert in one of the daily papers by one of the companies that call themselves xxxxxxxx mint i think.

I know the advert would of been a good few quid and  often used as a loss leader to keep selling them things

Described with all the hype and bollocks as a 1953 coronation set,

Not even proofs and just a 1953 set with a couple of stamps,

I cant remember how much they were ,although the price was ridiculous 😟.

Maybe somebody on here saw it and can confirm the price ?

Edited by PWA 1967

Apt use of the middle English there👏🏼

😂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, craigy said:

People have been wasting their money on shiny things for centuries. It's not a new thing. I actually think this is more honest than most of the recent Royal Mint junk. It doesn't pretend to be anything it isn't, unlike the mint "coins" that were never intended to be spent, in a multitude of different forms, all designed to deceive the collector as to their investment potential etc etc.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

People have been wasting their money on shiny things for centuries. It's not a new thing. I actually think this is more honest than most of the recent Royal Mint junk. It doesn't pretend to be anything it isn't, unlike the mint "coins" that were never intended to be spent, in a multitude of different forms, all designed to deceive the collector as to their investment potential etc etc.

I agree Jon. It's up to the punter what they buy. Stupid yes, but their money and their call, at the end of the day.

The only ever serious advice I would ever give is that if you're going to buy chintzy crap, make sure it's gold chintzy crap - at least that will always hold its bullion value.   

• Like 1

Yes they probably think its someone like me who is stupid (they are right :D ) buying low grade pennies for much more.

I agree their money to do what they want with and probably most are bought by people with no interest in coins ,such as the 1953 set. 

Companies probably target the majority of people who will buy things just because they want them due to how they were described in the adverts.

bea7daa7d325fe70e0bc71e3da18846d.png.2111415014e112bb42ed289636f66452.png

• Haha 1

Pardon the language, but this Viz advert sums it all up.

1512469837_dambusters3.thumb.jpeg.6d1cd2e611cc65d6e1e932fba61ba61e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

dambusters.jpg

• Haha 1

297305955_dambusters2.thumb.jpg.dbb752a03cc83b0dbcae38ff36b8bd27.jpg

• Like 1

Tick here to pay an extra £10......

That's quite an old Viz. I recall that advert being posted on here 5 or 6 years ago, maybe more.

8 hours ago, Rob said:

That's quite an old Viz. I recall that advert being posted on here 5 or 6 years ago, maybe more.

And your point is....?

I was wondering if they had recycled the ad recently, that's all.

Sadly, no- I'm sure I had lost it- and it had vanished on the Viz site, but that above is a scan of my copy that had the advert in it.

I remember when my late father got to the 'Tick box to pay an extra £10' bit we all thought he was going to have a seizure.....!

20 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Pardon the language, but this Viz advert sums it all up.

1512469837_dambusters3.thumb.jpeg.6d1cd2e611cc65d6e1e932fba61ba61e.jpeg

I must be (expletive) idiot A7351, with this purchase which I made in 2010:- :ph34r:

clock face.jpg

clock behind.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1