British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

threbu

Help needed with bronze coin please

Hello, I am in need of help in identifying this unknown bronze coin.

It is quite worn, but the words I can make out are "DEI GRATIA" and possibly "STALLER" or "STALLER i", which apparently is a word of Danish/Norman origin.

It weighs 3.21g and is 26mm / 1" across.

Any help would be much appreciated!

bronze coin poss obverse smaller.jpg

bronze coin poss reverse smaller.jpg

There's also DEI GRATIA on the reverse. It could be STAL or STAI. Then LERIO or possibly LEPID or any combination. 

I tried Googling but nothing has come up, sorry. What I would guess is that it looks like something from the mid 17th to late 18th Century.

I think that's the obverse identified - Maria 1 of Portugal. The reverse could be something like this:

983612605_20ReisMaria1Portugal.jpg.b9dc7d3d315015384bc05179a3b51cd6.jpg

Except it's upside down in the original image. 

What looks like STAL could well be ET AL following (perhaps) PORTUGALIAE. AL being the start of ALGARBIORUM, which the website says is the Azores, though I'd say that Algarbiorum is the Latin name of the Algarve, which is close enough. If correct then this is almost certainly a Reis denomination, though quite which I don't know enough to say.

8 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

If correct then this is almost certainly a Reis denomination, though quite which I don't know enough to say.

5 reis at 26mm, it would appear? https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces38648.html

• Like 1

Thank you so much for all your help! It's great to be able to finally identify it.

• Like 2