British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

has this coin been cleaned ?

Generally speaking, I think past cleaning is always a possibility if you have a bright coin with hairlines.

But personally, I think it is more important to ask yourself how you feel about the defects of a coin (such as hairlines, surface marks, carbon spots, wear, non matching observe and reverse toning etc) than how they were caused. Obviously, absence of defects would mean a higher asking price. 

If you leave a piece of silver in a draw for a hundred years it will be black. I think that's your answer. Just hope who ever cleaned the coin in the past did a good job.

11 hours ago, craigy said:

trying to learn  A LITTLE, HAS THIS COIN BEEN CLEANED, AND IS THAT ACCEPTABLE CLEANING IF SO ?    

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1911-George-V-Proof-Shilling/351905318474?hash=item51ef31064a:g:~J4AAOSwA3dYKedV

and what could it have been cleaned with If so 

Possibly, although there is a huge difference between obverse and reverse. Difficult to tell from the photo.

You could always ask the seller for his opinion. He is a member here although he's not posted for a bit @argentumandcoins 

Edited by 1949threepence

i dont believe this piece is a proof either, not enough detail and letters arent sharp enough 

never mind, had another look and looks reasonable to be a proof 

Edited by rpeddie

I'll vote cleaned/dipped and retoned obverse. Too many of these out there of better quality. PASS!

It's horses for courses, as someone somewhere will like it whether it is dipped, retoned, cleaned or whatever.

Last weekend at Wakefield I had a guy visit the table who was upset that he had a coin that he'd tried to clean, scratched it, and now couldn't find a buyer or even give it away (I also refused to accept it at no cost). He had come to find an uncirculated replacement coin he could clean. When I pointed out the error of his ways, he said he likes his coins to have a nice shine. I guess there's nothing wrong with trashing value if you have no intention of selling - ever.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

John (Argentum) is a member on this site....ex Old Bill and likes Cuban cigars,Malt and fishing.....give him a message.

10 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Possibly, although there is a huge difference between obverse and reverse. Difficult to tell from the photo.

You could always ask the seller for his opinion. He is a member here although he's not posted for a bit @argentumandcoins 

It hasn’t been photographed that well, to be honest, I would ordinarily stay clear of something that looks like that. However, I’d 100% take it as what it says it is coming from John...plus you could always send it back if you weren’t happy! :) 

• Like 1

I would say not, but difficult to tell from those photos. There arent cleaning hairlines present so I'd say probably not, and maybe the difference between obverse and reverse is due to it being stored with one face down and never turned?