British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
bagerap

Halfcrown watch

I have a friend, a retired horologist, who recently asked me if I could find him a halfcrown. He chose a 1948 from the group I gave him and offered no reason for the request.

Tonight he showed me what will become my next birthday present. Albeit in a better case and with blued steel hands.

watchit.jpg

• Like 2

I hope he installed a movement 😂

Would like to see a photo of the inner gubbins if you get chance. Is the edge  of the coin intact and movement mounted within or is the coin reduced to just the dial face? Mechanical or quartz? 

Oooooh, an Elizabeth I shilling, now that would be good in a silver case. :)

I'm very glad that I didn't give him a better coin as it has been milled down to wafer thin and the edge skimmed. Quartz movement I believe.

1 hour ago, bagerap said:

I'm very glad that I didn't give him a better coin as it has been milled down to wafer thin and the edge skimmed. Quartz movement I believe.

Looks great, i like it. 👍🏽

Logical to just replace the dial.

I was thinking along the lines of those $20 gold coin watches where the whole watch movement is encased within the coin.

Going up a notch, King Edward VIII gave to his first mistress Freda DudleyD02D7BC1-FFD0-49F2-8789-F4BBE5EC7D86.jpeg.06cad3718b54e09118dceea885e8f078.jpeg

• Like 2

I phoned Chris the watchmaker as he 's still finishing the watch and he tells me that the movement is actually set into the coin. Pics when I get it back.  I want to see his reaction to the Edward VIII watch.

10 minutes ago, bagerap said:

I phoned Chris the watchmaker as he 's still finishing the watch and he tells me that the movement is actually set into the coin. Pics when I get it back.  I want to see his reaction to the Edward VIII watch.

Very nice, i look forward to see his work

1 hour ago, bagerap said:

I like it. Looks like he has gold plated the coin which is a very good idea. 

2 hours ago, Diaconis said:

Going up a notch, King Edward VIII gave to his first mistress Freda Dudley

Very nice. Although I think it is something that would appeal to a gentleman rather to a lady.

This is the example I seen at the British Museum. Looks fantastic in real life.

1076647581_AN00242904_001_l-Copy.jpg.0b528d1739bafbdb41f7804615f0edf1.jpg550942449_AN00242905_001_l-Copy.jpg.e6fac5e4c8c115a2e6056f8dc1e0187b.jpg2044040212_AN00242906_001_l-Copy.jpg.a7f6fb90514cddbcd0964f7d9dda126f.jpg172940570_AN00242907_001_l-Copy.jpg.ab702d16ad717b8c341d867a57c13f2b.jpg

6 hours ago, Coinery said:

Oooooh, an Elizabeth I shilling, now that would be good in a silver case. :)

God no! Drilling a hole in a nice Elizabeth I shilling would be a terrible crime. (And I have not yet brought a nice example)

1 hour ago, Sword said:

God no! Drilling a hole in a nice Elizabeth I shilling would be a terrible crime. (And I have not yet brought a nice example)

Ah, yes, I agree, but there are many damaged examples that would lend themselves to this quite cheaply...plugged coins also spring to mind :)

Might be that's what we should do with high quality forgeries. Make them into watch faces!