British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

madness

the silver proofs have only been on sale a few hours and people wont even have received them yet, but they are already selling on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=gruffalo%2050p&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

utter madness to me, not even a nice coin 

Wow, and I'm still in a queue at the RM - just to see what all the fuss is about.

I see it's another of those 50p shaped pieces of metal which isn't actually a coin in the sense of the use of money - not for circulation, so in fact purely for profit.

sold out bout an hour n half ago 

There'll be plenty of time to get a BU one though.

What are the mintage figures?

The Gruffalo BU: Unlimited

The Gruffalo Silver Proof: 25,000 LEP / 30,000 MCM The Gruffalo Gold Proof: 600 LEP / 600 MCM

What are the Gruffalo LEP and MCM amounts and what is the difference?

Limited Edition Presentation (LEP) refers to the number of coins presented in our Gruffalo 20th Anniversary packaging, whereas the Maximum Coin Mintage (MCM) is the total number of coins struck. The Gruffalo LEP is 25,000 and the MCM is 30,000, meaning there is an allocation of 5,000 coins available for alternative presentations.

£65 😳 one born every minute, and, it's ugly AF to boot........Hideous, both price and design

4 hours ago, craigy said:

the silver proofs have only been on sale a few hours and people wont even have received them yet, but they are already selling on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=gruffalo%2050p&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

utter madness to me, not even a nice coin 

It is madness.

Although not the forum member @Madness who, for a second, I thought you were referring to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

It is madness.

Although not the forum member @Madness who, for a second, I thought you were referring to.

sorry lol 

funny looking on ebay and pictures people have posted on the miints facebook page, rampant photo stealing and people with quite a few for sale

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sandyf2581/m.html?item=303067854667&fbclid=IwAR2ZnDl7c_u4U8_g3kDsYur7SRR7-Q7q1GDWsrgpC2AB4Y8LaF7cQqr6wcA&hash=item469040774b%3Ag%3As2oAAOSwcHRca-Sy&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

8 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

It is madness.

Forum member Madness came to mind too. 😀

And he still logs into regularly.

Edited by Sword

Someone here invoked me I believe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Madness said:

Good to see you still here, even if you have lost enthusiasm for the hobby :)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Madness said:

You’re like the genie from the lamp! Nice to hear from you, hope all is well in Oz. You have my best mate and his wife over there somewhere at the moment,  so be very careful in traffic or crossing the road, especially after the bars are open!

Jerry

• Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 9:52 AM, jelida said:

You’re like the genie from the lamp! Nice to hear from you, hope all is well in Oz. You have my best mate and his wife over there somewhere at the moment,  so be very careful in traffic or crossing the road, especially after the bars are open!

Jerry

Came for numismatics.  Stayed for the people.  

All's well here, but we had some bush fires nearby.  Property lost, but no lives thankfully.  Tomorrow's max temp will be below 30 deg C for the first time in a long time.

• Like 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gruffalo-50p-Fifty-Pence-2019-Silver-Proof-Coin-Royal-Mint/283386178223?hash=item41fb21eaaf:g:Vd4AAOSw2NhcbV1i:rk:8:pf:0

8 hours ago, Madness said:

Came for numismatics.  Stayed for the people.  

All's well here, but we had some bush fires nearby.  Property lost, but no lives thankfully.  Tomorrow's max temp will be below 30 deg C for the first time in a long time.

Stay around. :) It's very possible to have a hobby in interesting and rare coins without physically owning them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, craigy said:

Who would actually want such a thing. A child would surely prefer a soft toy Gruffalo. (I brought one for my nephew when we went to see the Gruffalo show in a theater). A teenager would want the £65 (or even £30) than such an object. I would not comment on any grown-ups buying for themselves ...

1 minute ago, Sword said:

Who would actually want such a thing. A child would surely prefer a soft toy Gruffalo. (I brought one for my nephew when we went to see the Gruffalo show in a theater). A teenager would want the £65 (or even £30) than such an object. I would not comment on any grown-ups buying for themselves ...

Well just that seller has sold over forty in just a couple of days  ,crazy i know but a lot more decimal collectors than i used to think and  most seem to  buy anything that is released.

Dealers i speak to are getting asked every week for more and more decimal coins at shows and over the phone.

13 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Well just that seller has sold over forty in just a couple of days  ,crazy i know but a lot more decimal collectors than i used to think and  most seem to  buy anything that is released.

Dealers i speak to are getting asked every week for more and more decimal coins at shows and over the phone.

I understand why people might like to collect decimal coins. Indeed, I might buy a silver set of the current circulating coins at some point. 

I guess I just don't accept a piece of metal with a painted Gruffalo as a "coin". If the Royal mint were to produce some porcelain discs with the Gruffalo painted on one side would that also be accepted as a "coin" by some?

2141732301_Untitled-Copy.jpg.68702191d35b196618cb0c71aa6944ac.jpg

Yes i agree ,however the royal mint have now got a big customer base who are queing up to buy anything no matter how horrible it may look to us as pre decimal coin collectors.

They now sell everything from wallets ,cufflinks and scarves.

The plate coin may well be the next :D

Edited by PWA 1967

3 minutes ago, Sword said:

I guess I just don't accept a piece of metal with a painted Gruffalo as a "coin".

If I can spend it in my local corner shop, it's a coin.

Although I'm not sure where they stand on sovereigns. :lol:

22 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

one wonders how he managed to get that many in stock in the hand when they were released for sale the day before and his picture has a dated bit of paper saying the 20th and they were released on the 19th so wouldn't have even made the post for next day, just curious how they managed to get so many when it was either 2 or 5 per household 

Edited by craigy

2 minutes ago, craigy said:

one wonders how he managed to get that many in stock in the hand when they were released for sale the day before and his picture has a dated bit of paper saying the 20th and they were released on the 19th so wouldn't have even made the post for next day, just curious how they managed to get so many when it was either 2 or 5 per household 

That's crossed my mind too. Could be due to the help of a Royal Mint employee? Might be it is worth reporting to the RM and see how they respond?

He does say they are for pre-order and The Royal mint will maybe let a couple have large quantities of everything that comes out.

I doubt they are going to turn the money down.