British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
secret santa

403 error

I tried to include a website link in a post and got 403 error - anyone know what this means ? (it was my own website)

it was this:

https://fakecoins.wordpress.com/

And now it works ?????????

The above website is a prototype  and I'd welcome comments on structure, format etc including whether to structure it by Monarch or Denomination or Something else.

Edited by secret santa

56 minutes ago, secret santa said:

it was this:

https://fakecoins.wordpress.com/

And now it works ?????????

The above website is a prototype  and I'd welcome comments on structure, format etc including whether to structure it by Monarch or Denomination or Something else.

I think it looks good.

Couple of things: 1. it's "coarse" not "course". 2. I'm a bit confused about the difference between the first screen and the Home screen - the former is a nice welcome with a pleasant scenic picture, but the latter is exactly the same but without the picture! Are you planning to develop the Home screen so there's more on it?

I think the Denomination approach works best, as it's usually particular denominations, not monarchs, that come in for fakery. E.g., George III is known most for evasion halfpennies (and contemporary forgeries), and also Northumberland shillings. The halfpennies make an interesting historical study for the reasons that underlay their forging; the shillings however are modern and intended to fool collectors. Otherwise the halfpenny and shilling fakes have absolutely nothing to do with each other. So IMO the denomination approach is not only better but more logical.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

I think it looks good.

Couple of things: 1. it's "coarse" not "course". 2. I'm a bit confused about the difference between the first screen and the Home screen - the former is a nice welcome with a pleasant scenic picture, but the latter is exactly the same but without the picture! Are you planning to develop the Home screen so there's more on it?

I think the Denomination approach works best, as it's usually particular denominations, not monarchs, that come in for fakery. E.g., George III is known most for evasion halfpennies (and contemporary forgeries), and also Northumberland shillings. The halfpennies make an interesting historical study for the reasons that underlay their forging; the shillings however are modern and intended to fool collectors. Otherwise the halfpenny and shilling fakes have absolutely nothing to do with each other. So IMO the denomination approach is not only better but more logical.

I agree. Quite apart from it being specific denominations that are faked, as opposed to monarchs, I'd also say that anybody referencing the website will immediately hone in on the denomination, and then chronologically to the date/type. 

• Like 1

Thank you for pointing out the spelling error although, of coarse, I should have spotted that myself.

The issue of 2 Home pages is foxing me at the moment, I can't seem to get rid of the scenic picture page, although that may just be par for the coarse.

• Like 2

They've also started faking the 1919KN penny. Actually, at first glance, it's not a bad copy and might have some people fooled, were it not for the fact that you just don't get them BU with full lustre. 

On close examination it's very obviously a fake.   

link to it

Edited by 1949threepence

I hope you can concentrate on predecimal. Stewie and Richard (Coinery & Tomgoodheart) for hammered and SUEK for milled..

Plus a lot of us can help fill gaps.

On 19 February 2019 at 3:53 PM, 1949threepence said:

They've also started faking the 1919KN penny. Actually, at first glance, it's not a bad copy and might have some people fooled, were it not for the fact that you just don't get them BU with full lustre. 

On close examination it's very obviously a fake.   

link to it

What's worrying is that they've combined an obviously fake portrait (the eye is wrong and the beard is just too detailed and perfect) with the 'not fully struck up' Britannia that is par for the course on genuine examples. Ok, it's only £12:50 but someone is going to buy a few and sell them to unsuspecting punters for hundreds. :(

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

What's worrying is that they've combined an obviously fake portrait (the eye is wrong and the beard is just too detailed and perfect) with the 'not fully struck up' Britannia that is par for the course on genuine examples. Ok, it's only £12:50 but someone is going to buy a few and sell them to unsuspecting punters for hundreds. :(

I thought the "weak strike" on the reverse was a good effort too. :(

Edited by mrbadexample
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 9:39 PM, Peckris 2 said:

What's even more worrying - and forgive my naivety here - is that they are now producing pennies artificially worn. For example, the 1933 fake shown in the link, looks as though it has been in circulation for 35 years or so. I didn't even realise fake circulation wear was possible. 

link to "worn" 1933 fake penny 

2 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

What's even more worrying - and forgive my naivety here - is that they are now producing pennies artificially worn. For example, the 1933 fake shown in the link, looks as though it has been in circulation for 35 years or so. I didn't even realise fake circulation wear was possible. 

link to "worn" 1933 fake penny 

Obviously stuck in their pocket with other money for several months... :o

• Haha 1

Just come across this "reproduction" 1861 penny. Curious to know what variety the copiers had modelled it on, I took a closer look, and it appear to be a copy of a F29. Predictable enough.

Anyway, another possible addition to your fakes site, Richard.

link to

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Just come across this "reproduction" 1861 penny. Curious to know what variety the copiers had modelled it on, I took a closer look, and it appear to be a copy of a F29. Predictable enough.

Anyway, another possible addition to your fakes site, Richard.

link to

Dangerously accurate. Who on earth made these?

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

Dangerously accurate. Who on earth made these?

Don't know who's making them, but they're getting better at it.

However, there are still flaws. I can see at a glance it's a fake, especially the obverse, which just doesn't look right. Also there's no LCW under the shield, which there would be on Obverse 6, reverse D with a wide date (F29). The F33 reverse G has no LCW but a narrower date.  

Edited by 1949threepence

I think it might actually be their attempt at a round top lighthouse (rev f) ?

Another one

This time an 1858 penny.