British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob

Talk About Grade Inflation

This is bad enough to elicit a moan as it is precisely things like this that lead to ever higher numbers on slabs. Overgraded items languish in their slabs to the end of time, whereas those with a chance of receiving a higher grade are broken out and resubmitted. How this got anywhere near a 60+ number escapes me, but it only encourages the resubmission of a less bad example to try for a 64 or 65 label. From the next DNW sale, a 63 slabbed P1051.

https://www.dnw.co.uk/auctions/catalogue/lot.php?auction_id=507&lot_id=50957

And my EF example of the same type, which I would contest, wins every time.

c1491-P1051 1795 halfpenny.jpg

Edited by Rob
  • Like 3

Their GEF is barely EF. Your EF is at least GEF!

• Like 1

Agreed. 

Don't get me started on the use of 'Unc' when circulation is obvious.

That's my grading scale base mark, from where the scale up from there   (corrosion, finger marks, bag marks 'carbon' spots, lustre etc etc) and the scale down from there ( circulation amount, corrosion, flaws, damage etc. etc..) are centred.

When that point moves, the scale is ruined, even if it was never intended to be a relative comparable scale that someone else can use.

30 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

Agreed. 

Don't get me started on the use of 'Unc' when circulation is obvious.

That's my grading scale base mark, from where the scale up from there   (corrosion, finger marks, bag marks 'carbon' spots, lustre etc etc) and the scale down from there ( circulation amount, corrosion, flaws, damage etc. etc..) are centred.

When that point moves, the scale is ruined, even if it was never intended to be a relative comparable scale that someone else can use.

Nor that sneaky little get out for just EF called a(bout)/UNC, trace of lustre.

• Haha 1

UNC with cabinet friction is one of those self-contradictory term. There is wear but it could be due to mishandling rather than circulation. Sure. 

Very different dies to start with, though, yours looks to be cut in much higher relief to begin with...and/or earlier strike from the die too.

Edited by Coinery

First good argument I’ve seen for slabbing though, the scratches on that slab! 😲

Edited by Coinery

10 minutes ago, Coinery said:

First argument I’ve seen for slabbing though, the scratches on that slab! 😲

I have wondered if TPGs will offer super deluxe slabs for very valuable coins in the future. E.g. non scratch glass instead of cheap plastic. It does look strange to slab a 50 or 100k coins in some cheap plastic that is easy to scratch. 

1 minute ago, Sword said:

I have wondered if TPGs will offer super deluxe slabs for very valuable coins in the future. E.g. non scratch glass instead of cheap plastic. It does look strange to slab a 50 or 100k coins in some cheap plastic that is easy to scratch. 

You’d think they would, wouldn’t you? We get scratch-resistant watch faces and glasses, can’t be that much of a challenge?

9 minutes ago, Coinery said:

You’d think they would, wouldn’t you? We get scratch-resistant watch faces and glasses, can’t be that much of a challenge?

It is rather sad that so many people only care about the number on the slab rather than what the coin (and even less what the slab) looks like. 

Can you imagine the insult of putting for example a Charles I Oxford Crown in a plastic slab? If one were to slab such a treasure, it should be between two pieces of sapphire glass at least!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coinery said:

Very different dies to start with, though, yours looks to be cut in much higher relief to begin with...and/or earlier strike from the die too.

Same dies, but mine is the later one of the two. On my reverse the flaws across Britannia's stomach are branched, whereas the slabbed one is a single line.

5 hours ago, Rob said:

Same dies, but mine is the later one of the two. On my reverse the flaws across Britannia's stomach are branched, whereas the slabbed one is a single line.

Can’t remember what it was I saw now, I screen shot them and was looking at them in bed last night. Will take another look at them tonight after work. :)

10 hours ago, Sword said:

I wouldn't want to drop that though

54 minutes ago, azda said:

I wouldn't want to drop that though

Or try to break it out ☺️

I believe the "Gold Shield" PCGS slabs are hardened and more scratch resistant. Not advertising for them and they have their shortcomings, but I rather prefer the look of these newest generation of slabs from them.

8 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Or try to break it out ☺️

One idea is to have tamper proof edging which holds the two pieces of glass together and protect the slab from drops. The two pieces of glass separates when the edging is removed. 

53 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

I believe the "Gold Shield" PCGS slabs are hardened and more scratch resistant. Not advertising for them and they have their shortcomings, but I rather prefer the look of these newest generation of slabs from them.

I am sure you are right with regard to the more scratch resistant plastic. However, this is not mentioned on the Gold Shield site. https://www.pcgs.com/goldshield

From what I can see, the Gold Shield Slab looks very similar to other PCGS slabs ...

anti_counterfeit.png.27523e91e8c51f057d4e8c5c314c843a.png

These newer seem a bit better to me in hand, but thought (??) I had read somewhere about a change of plastic. I'll have a look and see..