British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ozjohn

1911 Proof Set

I have a 1911 proof set that I brought many years ago for $400. and I noticed it had two extra spaces for a half and full sovereign, sadly missing.I have also 

seen long sets that include half, full, two pound and five pound coins but no crown. Does any one know if there were sets issued with a matt proof crown

or were they issued separately? Given the matte proof issue was easily damaged were they issued in a presentation case? As far as the missing gold coins in my set are concerned

most that I have seen for sale are  very expensive which may explain their removal in the first place.

Edited by ozjohn
more info

I didn't think there were any 1911 crowns - or any between 1902 and 1927 for that matter.

You have to go with the extremely rare Canadian pattern dollar of that year....

Maybe INA struck one as a "private" pattern?

No you are right sorry I was mixing up the 1902 crown. My mistake.

Having said that a 1911 crown would have been a magnicent coin.

Presumably it would have been similar to the 1910 patterns engraved by A G Wyon, unless it was decided they were inappropriate for whatever reason and together with minimal demand for the denomination in everyday life, the crown was dropped.

Had a look at the coin you mention on London Coins auction site. I think the B M effigy  coupled wIth the traditional George & Dragon would have carried the day.