British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

Matte sovereign

royal mints new finish, or old new finish, wonder if its the same look as the 5 p posted on here http://www.predecimal.com/forum/topic/13112-frosting-lustre-on-circulation-2017-5p/

https://www.royalmint.com/sovereign/2019/

Ewwww looks like copper, might be better in hand, difficult to tell. The RM pictures still seem to have the pictures as a normal proof would look like, polished, i don't think they aren't representing it properly in the online pictures

Edited by azda

Geez, the matte is a BU coin, read it wrong, man that's expensive, can buy an early Lizzie Sov and have a chunk of change left over, not for me i'm afraid

It seems an unusual combination BU+matt.  I have not found mention of an issue limit/mintage and it looks like this could become  an annual release given the packaging for different occasions!   Royal Mint Bullion sales have 'normal' 2019 sovereign's for around £263 a coin, so this matt version seems to be at a significant premium for the finish.

RM bullion have also issued a 2019 The Royal Arms 1oz £100 gold coin.

Just noticed that the issue limit may be 20,000 - but I'm not sure if that is overall.

It's a no from me.  I'll get a 2019 bullion sovereign when the gold price dips a little.

15 hours ago, sabrejv said:

It seems an unusual combination BU+matt.  I have not found mention of an issue limit/mintage and it looks like this could become  an annual release given the packaging for different occasions!   Royal Mint Bullion sales have 'normal' 2019 sovereign's for around £263 a coin, so this matt version seems to be at a significant premium for the finish.

RM bullion have also issued a 2019 The Royal Arms 1oz £100 gold coin.

£100 extra for a matte finish, errrrr no thanks, also does not come with gift packaging according to them

The Sovereign 2019 Brilliant Uncirculated Coin features Benedetto Pistrucci’s classic St George and the dragon design and is struck in a special Matt finish for the first time. Each coin comes with a Certificate of Authenticity that guarantees it was struck by The Royal Mint, the home of The Sovereign.

• The first time The Sovereign has been struck to Brilliant Uncirculated standard with a special Matt finish

• A delightful gift to celebrate occasions such as Valentine’s Day and Mother’s Day and to mark birthdays, anniversaries and new arrivals

• Treasure precious moments with The Sovereign, the ‘chief coin of the world’

• Features a design by Benedetto Pistrucci which has charmed audiences for more than 200 years

Please note this product does not come with gift packaging.

I agree with above: on first reading of it, I thought this might be a nice matte like the 1902 (sans the wiping) but instead they parade out a pink monstrosity. 

Also, is it just me, or do the features of George look a bit different, and uglier and cruder?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

I agree with above: on first reading of it, I thought this might be a nice matte like the 1902 (sans the wiping) but instead they parade out a pink monstrosity. 

Also, is it just me, or do the features of George look a bit different, and uglier and cruder?

That's exactly what i initially thought, it might have been worth considering.