British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

will1976

Help with Roman bronze coin

This is the first ever Roman coin I've bought in twenty five years of collecting coins and tokens and I know nothing about the subject but felt I should have at least one in my collection after this length of time. I've not pushed the boat out far spending only £8 and would like to know if it's 1) genuine 2) from what period it's from. The diameter is 22mm with a weight of 3.1gm. Many thanks guys

roman one.jpg

• Like 1

Apologies the second image didn't load......added below

roman 2.jpg

• Like 1

Good value for £8, rather nice condition.  Sounds like a follis from the size.

Many thanks to you both! I've always shied away from Roman coins for some reason but I'm pleased I've now got a decent example

It does read Maximinus, not Maximianus and I think this is therefore Maximinus II Daia, as Augustus 310 to 313 AD, not Maximian who was 286 to 310 AD with gaps.

Reverse is Iovi Conservatori Augg NN. The excellent Roman Base Metal coins from the banner advert has it as CRB430 on page 58. Siscia mint - which is modern day Split in Croatia.

Nice coin and well worth your £8. If you are going to collect the odd Roman coin cheaply then the two Rotographic books (one for Silver, one for Base metals) are a great starting place.

• Like 3

I'm not sure I shall start collecting them yet Paddy just felt that I should own at least one example. I was surprised by both the price and condition which made me suspect that it might not have been genuine but my doubts have been laid to rest!

I rarely buy Romans myself but it's hard to resist if a good British mint coin like London or Colchester pops up cheap. Nice buy for £8 that well found. 

He did have another at £22 and I'm thinking I should of bought that one too! It wasn't in such good condition though but slightly bigger. If he still has it at the march fair I may go for it

42 minutes ago, will1976 said:

He did have another at £22 and I'm thinking I should of bought that one too! It wasn't in such good condition though but slightly bigger. If he still has it at the march fair I may go for it

If that was a dupondius from earlier in the Empire, they're rarer and worth quite a bit more.

If It is still available I'll post pictures in march, watch this space...…...