British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sword

March LCA Catalogue now online

Shame as this specimen appeared a bit nicer than those that show up (can't really use the term "usually" seen).  I could see it at the 1500 level. One will show, but don't settle for a basal state example would be my advice.

Funny story, sort of:  when I posted my example on the PCGS boards a couple of years ago, one of the members [MacCrimmon] really dogged me saying he had seen any number of better specimens (mine an AU50). I guess he is more experienced than I, but I have never seen an uncirculated specimen that if uncleaned/tampered would have to approach 20k. That is just IMO too much money, and a level that the 1863 has basically already reached.

1 hour ago, VickySilver said:

Shame as this specimen appeared a bit nicer than those that show up (can't really use the term "usually" seen).  I could see it at the 1500 level. One will show, but don't settle for a basal state example would be my advice.

Funny story, sort of:  when I posted my example on the PCGS boards a couple of years ago, one of the members [MacCrimmon] really dogged me saying he had seen any number of better specimens (mine an AU50). I guess he is more experienced than I, but I have never seen an uncirculated specimen that if uncleaned/tampered would have to approach 20k. That is just IMO too much money, and a level that the 1863 has basically already reached.

I wonder who is sitting on them?

But I suppose one or two fits the criteria of any number........

Edited by Rob

Managed to get through a few minutes ago. They confirmed they'd received my payment and will be despatching the items today.

So if you've transferred your payment into their account, you should get your bid wins tomorrow (obviously if you rang up to pay, then you'll already know this, assuming you asked them) 

Thanks Vicky, i would not buy one that is any worse than near fine. As for the 1863 florin, i could have bought a near fine last year for £1450, but i thought about it for too long. So when i decided to buy it, it had just been sold. 

56 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

Thanks Vicky, i would not buy one that is any worse than near fine. As for the 1863 florin, i could have bought a near fine last year for £1450, but i thought about it for too long. So when i decided to buy it, it had just been sold. 

I had a wise landlord from St Lucia and one of his favourite sayings was “ya gotta hit it or miss it”, he wasn’t a numismatist and neither was he referring to coins but it still resonates with me in the wider context 😉

LOL, wonder what the Landlord was talking about? Not females??

My wife when leaving stole my GEF 1863 and could never replace it (except with a proof).

It's obvious that many lots went unsold over the weekend. 

It would be nice if LC would list the "unsold" coins in their prices realised. I suppose it helps the vendors if they decide to resubmit it though, people will think it's a fresh coin.

Ignorance is bliss!

• Like 1

Well, i just had a bit of a result. I just received a March catalogue from a very good coin shop. It showed very decent examples of 1863 and 1854 florins. Unfortunately, the 1863 is already sold, but i managed to order the 1854. It is better than the LCA one that i was outbid on, but hardly any more money, so every cloud has a silver lining.

• Like 2

Please post pictures once you’ve gotten it. What was the condition on the 1863? I may have seen it but now forgot where. 

I will try and get some decent pictures on here Vicky. The 1863 was almost very fine. 

Yes, always good o share. I wish I didn't have so many issues with posting photos from my iPhone!

I am so sad at losing my 1863 currency when that ---- ex-wife took what she wanted.I posted a picture of my proof on PCGS boards. 

Unfortunately, my pictures are taking up too much storage to show you on here. Anyway, the 1854 and 1863 florins are both shown in Colin Cookes March catalogue. (Thank you Lee)