British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

1947 proof florin

saw this on facebook, 

the florin had gone away for conservation and came back a cameo,  do we know how that was achieved, was the cameo under there all the time ??

51352802_10156917056888718_1021008636446507008_n.jpg

• Like 2

PF64 Cameo 

Wow, that is an impressive result as the original is not all that spectacular. 

On a related note: I hope we can at some time get an idea of mintages. I am not sure that the TPG population reports are that accurate as there are many resubmissions on the hope that upgrades be achieved. Also, as I have said before, in the case of Wreath crowns that there are many that IMO are not actually proofs (another example would be the 1942-1946 issues wherein many are specimen and not proof).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Wow, that is an impressive result as the original is not all that spectacular. 

On a related note: I hope we can at some time get an idea of mintages. I am not sure that the TPG population reports are that accurate as there are many resubmissions on the hope that upgrades be achieved. Also, as I have said before, in the case of Wreath crowns that there are many that IMO are not actually proofs (another example would be the 1942-1946 issues wherein many are specimen and not proof).

Agree with this, I find it tough when handling my specimen strikes for the 1928-1936 series and comparing it to the proof, very tricky to spot what the proof really brings to the table. Compliments to the chefs for striking of circulation coins during this period i guess? 

Had a CGS 88 1935 sixpence and comparing to my PF65 1936 there are just the slightest of differences to look out for, mainly jagged edges but even then.

Agree with the crowns too, so many out there that are not proof and would need to be spectacular for me to consider it even if a TPG said so

on the note of conservation, they did a great job on this one though, could have just been grime though, like someone left it on display and crap just gathered on it 

Could also be very different light and photography - and the frosty is in a slab.

Could be, but suspect it to be a "real" picture that shows a coin similar to my own.

BTW, Craigy, have you ever seen any 1945 specimen or proof issues than the 6d?

On 2/6/2019 at 11:15 PM, VickySilver said:

Could be, but suspect it to be a "real" picture that shows a coin similar to my own.

BTW, Craigy, have you ever seen any 1945 specimen or proof issues than the 6d?

no i dont think so, seems there are proofs for most years during george vi's reign, 

Yes, the 1945 year seems particularly elusive and in 25 years of collecting have seen only the 6d offered (and I think it is the same piece shunted around). The 1942-44 years are difficult with some denominations as the specimen format with a slightly satin appearance is much more common - see the Spencer article in the J. of the ANA from 1982 which remains one of the best ever written regarding this subject IMO.

do you have a link to that article at all if these area avilable online? 

I will look it up on the weekend. Many years ago I was given a copy and it is really EXCELLENT reading, even mandatory for the collector or others interested in proof 20th C. issues of the Royal Mint (predecimal).

from my emails ive sent you know this is right up my street :)

The citations are as follows:

The Numismatist, December 1983

Harry E. Spencer is the author. Pages: 2504-2519

There is a lesser leadup article: 

The Numismatist, August 1979, pp. 1662-1668.

I can try to photograph these and send from my iPhone if interested

I believe Mr. Spencer has likely passed away at this point as he would be 92 years old.

Thank you for this, just reading through this now, some interesting populations, didnt realise there were other proofs to go for from 1922-1927(incl 1927 lion 6d)

Yes, very good information and the basis for my own collecting.

LOL on the 1927 Lion 6d as we had a auction shootout a couple of years ago - I lost on the silver version but won the copper-nickel "pattern".

I can maybe do the 1979 article but it is not as good; the original 1983 article had some decent pictures that I couldn't get through so many generations of copying.

On 2/11/2019 at 6:53 AM, VickySilver said:

I can try to photograph these and send from my iPhone if interested

Please do.l