British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Gaz T

Henry V coin

Hi,

Some info required please on this Henry V quarter noble.

I believe its the Spink 1755.. Ordinary letters; quartrefoil to left and mullet to right of shield.

I have tried to take some close up pictures to show what could be a mullet to the bottom centre of the shield.

Looked but can't find reference to a Henry V having this.

Also the spelling EXCVLTABTUR:IN:GLORIA.  In Schneider's English gold coins he notes the misspelling of EXALTABITUR, My coin also has the letter I missing

Would this be quite rare to see such a bad spelling of a word on a gold coin?

Any chance of a grade please for this coin, I would say NVF.

IMG_E1286.JPG

IMG_E1285.JPG

IMG_E1268.JPG

IMG_1271.JPG

IMG_1273.JPG

IMG_1269.JPG

Getting closer to my coin.  Stops are slightly different and this coin says FRAN my coin FRANC, but another with the TABTVR.

Stack's Bowers Galleries (& Ponterio) - Sale 176 -August 2013 ANA Auction Sess. E, Lot 20024 (13 Aug 2013)

World Gold Coins Great Britain.

Henry V,1413-1422. Quarter Noble,ND

(1413-22). S-1757; North-1383; Fr-111.

26.3 grains. Quartered shield within treasure of arches; trefoil to left and mullet to right.

Rv. Cross with lions in angles; lis in center. Class F. Cross pattee (pierced center?).

Another superb Norweb collection purchase by Mr. Law,

which realized £540 hammer in 1985.

Well-made, though a bit ovoid. Lustrous and displaying ample legend for the type.

A well-pedigreed example in top condition; among the finest.

Choice Extremely Fine.

Estimate: $1000

norweb henry v q noble.JPG

• Like 1

Hi all.

I don't have a copy of North's English hammered coinage, If anyone has a copy would they be kind enough to have a look if North mentions the spelling of my coin ? North- 1383.

Also the Fr-111 could be the special works by Friedberg, not sure but he could mention the spelling.

Thanks for any help.

This whole thread should really be in the Hammered forum

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

This whole thread should really be in the Hammered forum

Hi, 

It was a year ago with no response!

Thought I would try the none hammered guys.

Next I'm going for the Confirmed unlisted varieties, I'm sure someone will put me right then!!😉

11 hours ago, Gaz T said:

Hi all.

I don't have a copy of North's English hammered coinage, If anyone has a copy would they be kind enough to have a look if North mentions the spelling of my coin ? North- 1383.

Also the Fr-111 could be the special works by Friedberg, not sure but he could mention the spelling.

Thanks for any help.

You won't find any expansion on the generic full reading in North. There are many legend combinations in this period, so the best you can do is a lot of reading looking at as many past sales as possible, with Lockett, Montagu, Ryan, Dangar, Fletcher and other important named sales a good stating point. Small sales are likely to have a description of reign, denomination and type only. North 1383 states trefoil left, mullet right of shield. You are wrong about quatrefoil in your OP - it is a trefoil.

There is a shortage of readily accessible references for gold of this period. Brooke, (NC 1930) discusses the quarterly marking in connection with the pyx trials, but only gives the generic legend. I don't think you need pay too much attention to the mis-spellings seen in this series, as they appear to be common. According to Stewartby, FRANC is the normal spelling, FRAC & FRAN are unusual. Anecdotally, EXALT/EXCVLT etc together with their various readings are very much 'think of a combination'. Mistakes are frequently seen. Sorry, I haven't compiled a corpus of Henry V gold, so can't be specific on varieties.

6 hours ago, Gaz T said:

Hi, 

It was a year ago with no response!

Thought I would try the none hammered guys.

Next I'm going for the Confirmed unlisted varieties, I'm sure someone will put me right then!!😉

It's just that - having no interest in hammered - I ignore the forum completely, so it's good not to see hammered in other forums!

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Rob said:

You won't find any expansion on the generic full reading in North. There are many legend combinations in this period, so the best you can do is a lot of reading looking at as many past sales as possible, with Lockett, Montagu, Ryan, Dangar, Fletcher and other important named sales a good stating point. Small sales are likely to have a description of reign, denomination and type only. North 1383 states trefoil left, mullet right of shield. You are wrong about quatrefoil in your OP - it is a trefoil.

There is a shortage of readily accessible references for gold of this period. Brooke, (NC 1930) discusses the quarterly marking in connection with the pyx trials, but only gives the generic legend. I don't think you need pay too much attention to the mis-spellings seen in this series, as they appear to be common. According to Stewartby, FRANC is the normal spelling, FRAC & FRAN are unusual. Anecdotally, EXALT/EXCVLT etc together with their various readings are very much 'think of a combination'. Mistakes are frequently seen. Sorry, I haven't compiled a corpus of Henry V gold, so can't be specific on varieties.

Thank you again Rob.

I will keep searching for anything else I can find. Yep my mistake, I did mean trefoil.

It helps so much when you guys with the knowledge help us beginners.

Just ordered myself the JJ  North, English Hammered Coinage. Hopefully this will help me a little with research.

7 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

It's just that - having no interest in hammered - I ignore the forum completely, so it's good not to see hammered in other forums!

I placed the coin in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries,  The heading was Henry V coin. Obviously Hammered, You didn't have to look if they hurt your eyes so much 🙄

I find it hard to believe that someone who enjoys coins doesn't like hammered.

They are absolutely amazing pieces of our past craftsmanship.

56 minutes ago, Gaz T said:

I placed the coin in British Coin Related Discussions & Enquiries,  The heading was Henry V coin. Obviously Hammered, You didn't have to look if they hurt your eyes so much 🙄

I find it hard to believe that someone who enjoys coins doesn't like hammered.

They are absolutely amazing pieces of our past craftsmanship.

Takes all sorts. I love pre-Conquest (Ancient) coins, and early milled on. I just don't much care for those medieval wafers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1