British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Nonmortuus

1698 Half crown grading opinions please.

As the title. Following the discussion on Azda thread can I have your opinions on grade please on this half crown. I dont mind slabbed coins and i am thinking of submitting it.

1698-hc.jpg

ms61-ms63 

Nice overall appearance, very pleasant. The field toward 5 o'clock has some friction as do the high points. I am more in the 58 camp.

I consider the 1698 to be the most available date of the series. Your example looks well struck. My concern is over the quality of the fields and that could be just in the image and not the coin. I would not be in the MS camp- the thread captures the problems of trying to grade from an image 

Lovely coin. It should be a keeper 

Thanks for the feedback. The fields actually look much better in hand and this was broken out of an ANACS slab before I bought it. At the time I felt that it had been undergraded as did the seller (obviously) but also the guys from Baldwin's on the next table.

AUnc, or GEF at the very least. Beautiful coin. (There is the usual reverse weakness probably caused by  the boldness of the portrait).

It was graded MS64 by PCGS

5 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

AUnc, or GEF at the very least. Beautiful coin. (There is the usual reverse weakness probably caused by  the boldness of the portrait).

Exactly my thought before I saw your post.

• Like 1