British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

markflorida

Mintage Figures A-Z 10p 2018

I know they are modern coins, but I was asked by a customer and I cannot find them.

Does anyone know the mintage figures of the 2018 A-Z 10p's? He was mostly interested in the business strikes, but if you have a source for the Silver Proofs as well that would help.

Thank you. 😊

I can't help you with any of the proof strikes, but someone who visited the RM recently reported on here that there were just 200,000 of each letter in circulation strikes. 100,000 of each released in early 2018 and a further 100,000 of each at the end of the year. The RM employees said no more were being made - but of course they can always change their mind.

If this is true it puts each coin on a par with Kew Gardens for rarity, though I doubt 10ps will ever be quite so avidly collected as 50ps.

• Like 2

Thanks Paddy that is a great help. 

piggybacking off the back of this, what are modern dies capable of striking before they are retired? i have 50000 in my head but cant source that anywhere 

I think it is more likely to be at least double that number. The RM was uncertain as to whether the undated 20p was struck from one or two journeys, i.e. a mintage of 100K or 200K. That would have required the obverse die to have lasted throughout, unless they were drawing dies from a box of obsolete obverses.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, rpeddie said:

piggybacking off the back of this, what are modern dies capable of striking before they are retired? i have 50000 in my head but cant source that anywhere 

50 minutes ago, Rob said:

I think it is more likely to be at least double that number. The RM was uncertain as to whether the undated 20p was struck from one or two journeys, i.e. a mintage of 100K or 200K. That would have required the obverse die to have lasted throughout, unless they were drawing dies from a box of obsolete obverses.

I can say that when a friend of mine toured The Royal Mint last year and struck a commemorative £2 coin for me, the result was appalling. The die was so worn that most of the lettering and the date is simply not there.     

7 hours ago, Paddy said:

I can't help you with any of the proof strikes, but someone who visited the RM recently reported on here that there were just 200,000 of each letter in circulation strikes. 100,000 of each released in early 2018 and a further 100,000 of each at the end of the year. The RM employees said no more were being made - but of course they can always change their mind.

If this is true it puts each coin on a par with Kew Gardens for rarity, though I doubt 10ps will ever be quite so avidly collected as 50ps.

That makes them as rare as the 1951 penny, which as we all know has proved an extraordinary investment since the 1960s... :D

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Paddy said:

If this is true it puts each coin on a par with Kew Gardens for rarity, though I doubt 10ps will ever be quite so avidly collected as 50ps. ďťż

Everyone seems to want to save them, even if it's initials or a complete name.

As for the mintage figures, the 2018 alphabet was 200k each. no idea if 2019 will get a run, that wasn't mentioned.

I agree with Paddy, not as desirable as the 50p's but with such low mintage numbers, I think I might buy a couple of UNC sets for myself. They seem to be selling for around £45. I thought they would be in the million mintage figures. 

Edited by markflorida

I thought they'd be in the millions too, but the tour guide was very precise about the mintage figures. Let's just hope he was accurate too.

I think when they do get displayed on the RM site, thats when prices will potentially take a jump.

I took a punt last year and can honestly say I haven't even looked at them, apart from bagging and putting away.

I suppose decimal's are appealing to new collectors and we have 50 yr old 1968 10p's :o blimey.

In fact I have a shoe box with rolls of 60's cu,1950 3d's av circ,Scottish 1959 1/-'s,decimal rolls and other tat.

45 minutes ago, Peter said:

I took a punt last year and can honestly say I haven't even looked at them, apart from bagging and putting away.

I suppose decimal's are appealing to new collectors and we have 50 yr old 1968 10p's :o blimey.

In fact I have a shoe box with rolls of 60's cu,1950 3d's av circ,Scottish 1959 1/-'s,decimal rolls and other tat.

sOMEONE BELIEVED THE HYPE DID'NT THEY

1 hour ago, Peter said:

It's that shoe-box which wil probably have quite a value in another 200 years, all you need to do is figure out how to be around to get the reward :)