British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Fubar

Possibly Islamic tiny gold coin

This tiny high carat gold coin has me stumped. I'm hoping someone has seen one before.
It's 7.5mm in diameter, 0.96mm thick and weighs 0.37g.

If it's just scrap gold the so be it but it looks hammered and quite old.
The "O" could represent "5" in English and there are 12 pellets, possibly representing stars within the horns of the crescent on the other side. I'm not sure that is a date below the olive branch (?).

I can find nothing remotely like it online. Please help before I drop it and it disappears forever.

Apologies for the quality of the pictures. Had to take it with a microscope attachment on my mobile phone.
Cheers
Kris

Tiny gold coin - s.jpg

Edited by Fubar
missing bit
  • Like 1

It looks like an Indian gold fanam of some sort. Not something i am familiar with myself so can't provide a full ID. 

Stu.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, Stu.
Some similarities but I can't find a match. Just about all the Rajahs and states produced there own I suppose so it could be a lost cause.

Kris

Magic.

Thanks Paddy.
That was much quicker than I thought it would be.

Cheers
Kris

Numista does the magic. Provided you have some describable feature you can put it into a search there, and it will bring up any coins on its database that match those words anywhere in their description. In this case I put in "Gold Crescent" and it came up with 220 odd possibles in 12 pages. Most were Hungarian but on about page 9 or 10, up popped your answer.

Some Islamic/Indian coins have no describable feature, just unreadable script, and then it gets much more difficult.

• Like 1

Thanks Paddy
One of the sites I missed.