British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Stans

Elizabeth I Milled Sixpence

I think the OP coin looks good too with no obvious porosity. The die combination is illustrated in Borden & Brown's article in the 1983 BNJ, p.128 -  23-O2, R2. The left hand flaw on the illustrated example is earlier, showing as 2 discrete lumps. There are 6 examples referenced in the article (3 in private hands) which formed part of the study, but it is very unlikely this list is exhaustive. Somewhere, someone has the original.

I would suspect this is one of the large number of copies which surfaced soon after the turn of the millennium. If a copy, the weight and thickness will be the key. It is likely there is a join line from the two halves as made, but this might have been filed off.

Edited by Rob

On 1/26/2019 at 10:35 PM, JLS said:

According to the seller this is ex-Spinks. I've asked for a weight. Fingers crossed...

Weight 2.8 grams and listing now taken down - honest seller !

8 hours ago, JLS said:

Weight 2.8 grams and listing now taken down - honest seller !

Another fake exposed, good to hear.