British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Stans

Elizabeth I Milled Sixpence

Hi again, here is the other Tudor coin I was given recently, once again I know little about these coins..I particularly like this one as it seems so finely made, I'm hoping it's authentic, once again any opinions greatly appreciated!
I'm hoping this is the right place to put this since I believe it's not actually a hammered coin.
Stan

eli2b.jpgeliz1ab.jpg.7699b0cf0e0848bc41689f3b18bb5061.jpg

Edited by Stans

Not really my area of expertise, but I believe there was discussion here before about the irregular terminal to the cross at 3 o'clock on the reverse being an indicator of some very good fakes that have shown up recently. I hope I am wrong because without that it would look to be a very nice example.

why would someone" give away" a £200 coin - just a thought.

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

why would someone" give away" a £200 coin - just a thought.

Hi, it was a special present that was bought specifically for that reason so there's no chance it was given to me because of doubts about it's authenticity although I will have to try and find the discussion here about the irregular terminal to the cross at 3 o'clock..that's got me a little worried.

Stan

Edited by Stans

Well the truth is its either a fake or not , there is no middle ground i'm afraid.

so its either worth £200 or £2

If you give it a ring and compare the sound to another genuine silver hammered coin it sould tell you if its in the right metal

5 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

According to the seller this is ex-Spinks. I've asked for a weight. Fingers crossed...

The fourth is the ebay coin.

IMAG0161_1.jpg.3900f98aea3de8f2fac28d94cef03878.jpg

eli2b.jpg.0a167beeae03f888767a22efb5ae5851.jpg

IMG_2894aresize.jpg.69c80dd6022de8ecd7d186f9aa77649c.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you for everyone's help, it's much appreciated..I understand the seller on ebay it was bought from has a no returns policy so I'm not sure how we will go in obtaining a refund but we can try.

Stan

Regardless of what the seller may say, there is no such thing as a "no returns policy". Your statutory rights as an online buyer are not affected by any words he puts in his listing, and you will find that Ebay will support you in this.

The 6d in Michael's post (jamcol) I have bought from previously.I'm sure it a genuine error.

17 minutes ago, Peter said:

The 6d in Michael's post (jamcol) I have bought from previously.I'm sure it a genuine error.

I have too Peter. As you say, no doubt a genuine error.

Hi again..all is good, the seller has accepted the return so a refund should follow..a big thank you for everyone's help. 😀

Stan

• Like 2

If there is no "No returns " policy does that count for the time limits that people put as well

Ie 7 days or 14 days  if so you would be allowed to return the coin / coins after say six months .

Seems like a great deal for buyers

Time limits set by sellers have no meaning either - the rules are set by legislation and you cannot override that. 

I believe for coins it comes under the 30 day rule - it varies for different products. It also depends on whether the seller is a business or an individual - although regular individual sellers may be classed as a business whether they like it or not!

This gives a lot more: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/ive-got-a-problem-with-something-i-bought-on-ebay

great news for buyers then

Hi all, the seller is happy to refund but is still convinced it's genuine and sent this section of an article about the die flaws ..I never realised this would be such a controversial coin.🙁

Stan

s-l1600 (1).png

Just be happy to get your money back. Some of the coins illustrated above clearly have casting bubbles  (and are underweight) and if those are fake then so most likely are the rest. There is no description of these flaws in the BNJ die variety article page shown to which the vendor refers .Sadly the vendor may have significant investment in this coin which he may be reluctant to write off.

Jerry

Re the flaws, there are definitely genuine coins out there with those flaws, the fakes were cast from at least one of them. I’ve had a couple of those fakes in the past and whilst they are good, they are not great in hand. The 8 o’clock flaw in the OP coin is very much sharper than the clear fakes...seller may have a point! Difficult to say without seeing the coin in-hand? It does look good though, in the images at least!

Stans, invest in a jewellers scales, sometimes they can provide a definitive answer, and are not expensive. It is true that the forgers dies may well have been made from a flawed genuine coin, but milled sixpence are not difficult to find  and this coin will always be more difficult to sell on from photographs because of the doubts. Bring your money to a coin fair!

Jerry

Coinery does make a good point here i must agree. I think though for clear peace of mind I'd go with the return and refund , the what if factor will niggle away at you if you keep it and it could come back on you in the future if you try to sell it. As Jerry says do invest in some jewellers scales for future purchases and most of all " Do not let this put you off collecting" 

Stu. 

Thanks for the advice, its appreciated!, I'm currently looking around for a good set of scales (our house doesn't even have a set of basic cooking scales).Although both of my Tudor coins were gifts I will certainly be now very wary if I ever end up buying any english hammered coins.

Stan

For the scales ebay is your friend as long as you are prepared to wait for your delivery from from the far East.Search jewelers scales and BIN lowest 1st.

(the models will seem remarkably similar :rolleyes:) just search on scales 0.01

Edited by Peter