British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1949threepence

1913 penny - Freeman 175 & 176

32 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Well I've now managed to obtain a really nice F176, again from John Jerrams (Topcarp2). Thanks for the heads up Jerry. Really pleased with this acquisition as the 176 is clearly very scare, even in low grade. So to get one like this is excellent.  

I'd say it's aUNC/GEF, with decent hair detail, although as so often with this era, the breast plate is somewhat deficient. Britannia's head well struck up, however.  Tiny circular metal flaw on the King's head.

Managed to knock him down from £320 to £280 best offer, which, given the condition, is a very reasonable price, with free postage and exclusive of any auction buyer fee. I must say, he does a good sell, and his write up's are always a pleasure to read. 

Very nice Mike. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Managed to knock him down from £320 to £280

I had put the £320 figure on my website but I've deleted it to avoid people trying to knock John down on all his prices.

19 minutes ago, secret santa said:

I had put the £320 figure on my website but I've deleted it to avoid people trying to knock John down on all his prices.

In fairness, he did have the "or make offer" option available, as he nearly always does. 

I'm very pleased to say I managed to get another F176 for a very reasonable price. This time a CGS slabbed one. Not previously unknown, it's No 9 on Richard's rarest pennies site.

I don't actually need two, and my other one is slightly better than this, so I might well put it up for possible bids at the June LCA. Although if anybody on here does happen to want it (who hasn't already got one), they've got first refusal. 

slabbed 176 rev.jpg

slabbed 176 obv.jpg

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 3

Finally sold the F176 above through Kleeford Coin Auctions on 29th April, along with one or two other minor spares. I'm pleased someone (hopefully a collector) got it for a decent price, as I did - was the only bidder. Leigh Rose's old fashioned auctions have coins with very reasonable estimates, and don't tend to attract big buyers.

Scrolling back through this thread, and in particular, the links to other threads, I've just realised that it was the same F176 which forum member Gary D had slabbed 8 years ago. When you click on the thumbnail, you can see that the coin and CGS number are the same ~ link

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Finally sold the F176 above through Kleeford Coin Auctions on 29th April, along with one or two other minor spares. I'm pleased someone (hopefully a collector) got it for a decent price, as I did - was the only bidder. Leigh Rose's old fashioned auctions have coins with very reasonable estimates, and don't tend to attract big buyers.

Scrolling back through this thread, and in particular, the links to other threads, I've just realised that it was the same F176 which forum member Gary D had slabbed 8 years ago. When you click on the thumbnail, you can see that the coin and CGS number are the same ~ link

Damn. I'd have loved to make you an offer on that. (If you remember, davidrj's F176 wasn't, though @Rob and I both thought it was).

Oh well. Sailor V.

2 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Damn. I'd have loved to make you an offer on that. (If you remember, davidrj's F176 wasn't, though @Rob and I both thought it was).

Oh well. Sailor V.

I did say I was willing to give members first refusal in my post of 21.2.20 above, but nobody responded. So after over 2 years, I gave up and sold it elsewhere. 

Edited by 1949threepence

7 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I did say I was willing to give members first refusal in my post of 21.2.20 above, but nobody responded. So after over 2 years, I gave up and sold it elsewhere.

That's a hell of a time ago!! I would have responded to a reminder...

Oh well.

I have this one down as F176 - I hope I am right? Please correct me if not.

I have been out of commission for a while and not sure I will be continuing with my collection, so this may come up for sale soon.

1913 D F176 3-side.JPG

• Like 4

On 7/12/2023 at 6:39 PM, Paddy said:

I have this one down as F176 - I hope I am right? Please correct me if not.

I have been out of commission for a while and not sure I will be continuing with my collection, so this may come up for sale soon.

1913 D F176 3-side.JPG

If you decide to sell please send me a PM

10 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

If you decide to sell please send me a PM

OK - will do. At present I am stuck at a cross roads - do I sell the lot and cash in, or do I continue collecting. Rob's list of shillings has a couple that would fill gaps for me, so I am tempted to get them.... 

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

OK - will do. At present I am stuck at a cross roads - do I sell the lot and cash in, or do I continue collecting. Rob's list of shillings has a couple that would fill gaps for me, so I am tempted to get them.... 

If you do decide to cash in, beware the Chancellor and the new (lower) limits for Capital Gains Tax!! Best option is sell one lot just before 5 April and another just after, then wait a year and so on. To avoid being robbed by the government, you need to be creative.

Thanks for the tip. I am already selling off my low value "stock" - I used to deal a bit - through a local auction house. If I do decide to sell the main collection, it will probably be in a lot of private transactions/small auction lots spread over several years.

3 hours ago, Paddy said:

do I sell the lot and cash in, or do I continue collecting.

A question for us all.

Has the value of coins peaked ? Do you need the money ? Is the number of predecimal collectors likely to increase or decrease ?

Oh for a crystal ball !

Fortunately I do not desperately need the money. It is more a case of moving on the custodianship of these little pieces of history rather than leaving them to moulder in a box. When I eventually pop my clogs I suspect my relatives will give little attention to the collection and simply bung the lot into a local clearance auction. Some lucky dealer will get a windfall, or worse some shyster will melt the silver down for scrap!

1 hour ago, DaveG38 said:

If you do decide to cash in, beware the Chancellor and the new (lower) limits for Capital Gains Tax!! Best option is sell one lot just before 5 April and another just after, then wait a year and so on. To avoid being robbed by the government, you need to be creative.

Oh, what's changed then? Hadn't it used to be about £6k allowed per individual coin sold, before CGT kicked in?

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

A question for us all.

Has the value of coins peaked ? Do you need the money ? Is the number of predecimal collectors likely to increase or decrease ?

Oh for a crystal ball !

Judging by some recent prices, I don't think so. The amount a 1922 192A went for at the recent Baldwins Auction is indicative of that.

Moreover, considering the number of youngsters in various facebook coin groups, I don't think we need to worry about loss of interest. They've not got much to spend, but the enthusiasm is definitely there. 

Edited by 1949threepence

10 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Oh, what's changed then? Hadn't it used to be about £6k allowed per individual coin sold, before CGT kicked in?

That is or was per coin. My understanding is that the tax free element of CGT has been reduced from around £12k a few years back to £6k now, and is due to fall to around £3k any time soon. This is off the top of my head, so please don't quibble if my figures are out, unless it is by miles.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

That is or was per coin. My understanding is that the tax free element of CGT has been reduced from around £12k a few years back to £6k now, and is due to fall to around £3k any time soon. This is off the top of my head, so please don't quibble if my figures are out, unless it is by miles.

Thanks.

Obviously a fall from £6k to £3k is going to bring a great many more coins into the CGT bracket