British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1949threepence

1913 penny - Freeman 175 & 176

8 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

The Copthorne one Mike i think would of needed to be seen in hand.I am pretty sure its LCA Lot 2210 GEF £150 +.

Yep, just compared side by side. 100% definitely the same coin, Pete. 

9 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes when you start looking there are not many F176 although there is more than two sold at LCA.

Your Right Pete, I must have punch in 175 when I looked in on LCA,  and I only count pictured examples as the others on the site may be duplicated or incorrectly allocated .  Strange though that I have found  6 - F175s  and only  2 - F176s ? 

I've now added F176 to my rarestpenny site to see what sort of population builds up. If anyone else has one please post or send me pictures.

• Like 1

Mine hopefully will be coming up soon with Colin Cooke. I have only ever had one coin slabbed and that was a F175 which was top pop of 2 at the time, it was my spare which I hoped would get a better price as I wished to sell it. Under performed I must say, so much for slabbing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Mine hopefully will be coming up soon with Colin Cooke. I have only ever had one coin slabbed and that was a F175 which was top pop of 2 at the time, it was my spare which I hoped would get a better price as I wished to sell it. Under performed I must say, so much for slabbing.

The slabbing does not change the coin Gary.when you bought it from the crocker sale you told cgs and they put a price of about the same value.As more were sold at higher prices they kept increasing it and is currently at £350 graded at 75.

Just putting it in a plastic slab confirmed what you wanted which was the grade and the fact it was problem free .

I am sure now perhaps more people are looking that your other one will do much better.

4 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

The slabbing does not change the coin Gary.when you bought it from the crocker sale you told cgs and they put a price of about the same value.As more were sold at higher prices they kept increasing it and is currently at £350 graded at 75.

Just putting it in a plastic slab confirmed what you wanted which was the grade and the fact it was problem free .

I am sure now perhaps more people are looking that your other one will do much better.

Mine didn't come from crocker. Both came from ebay unidentified. I think the slabbed one sold for about £120.

6 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Mine didn't come from crocker. Both came from ebay unidentified. I think the slabbed one sold for about £120.

Gary, were they identified by the e bay sellers as F176's, or did you alone discern the fact from the pics of apparently plain 1913 pennies?

7 hours ago, Gary D said:

Sorry there was a big thread posted on here a few years ago. that confused me .

If you look on the TPG threads there is one called "I have gone and done it " that is about a F176......The last page 5.

The crocker one being the same one as was sold at LCA about three years later and then Copthorne.

Edited by PWA 1967

12 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Gary, were they identified by the e bay sellers as F176's, or did you alone discern the fact from the pics of apparently plain 1913 pennies?

Not to worry, scrub that one Gary.

6 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Sorry there was a big thread posted on here a few years ago. that confused me .

If you look on the TPG threads there is one called "I have gone and done it " that is about a F176......The last page 5.

The crocker one being the same one as was sold at LCA about three years later and then Copthorne.

That's great Pete, and will help Richard ( @secret santa ) with his new rarest penny slot for the F176. A few new specimens on there - link to thread 

5 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

A few new specimens on there - link to thread 

Unless I'm missing something, I think there's only one new specimen on this thread ?

Yes looking back it was a 176 I had slabbed before putting it on ebay. I had a reserve of £180 which it didn't quite reach. I then offered it to the highest bidder at the reserve. They had a bit of a winge about reserves I assume because they hadn't got it for their maximum bit. Obviously didn't understand what a reserve was.

29 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Unless I'm missing something, I think there's only one new specimen on this thread ?

There's davidrj's, which I see you've now got. But have you got the one posted on that thread by Gary on 25.4.14. I can't see that one. Maybe I'm overlooking it. 

So yes, two, as opposed to "a few". 

54 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

There's davidrj's, which I see you've now got. But have you got the one posted on that thread by Gary on 25.4.14. I can't see that one. Maybe I'm overlooking it. 

So yes, two, as opposed to "a few". 

I had trouble picking that one up - when I clicked on it, I couldn't save the image but when I clicked on it again I could so I've now picked it up. Thanks Mike.

If GaryD and/or Davidrj would like me to attribute these coins to them, please let me know. I've just said "Held in a private collection" at the moment.

Edited by secret santa

1 hour ago, Gary D said:

Yes looking back it was a 176 I had slabbed before putting it on ebay. I had a reserve of £180 which it didn't quite reach. I then offered it to the highest bidder at the reserve. They had a bit of a winge about reserves I assume because they hadn't got it for their maximum bit. Obviously didn't understand what a reserve was.

Yes thats why i was getting confused , as you also do say in the first post that the coin came from the Crocker sale .

6 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes thats why i was getting confused , as you also do say in the first post that the coin came from the Crocker sale .

Can you still see the Crocker sale? Can't find it on Colin Cooke's site. :huh:

8 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Can you still see the Crocker sale? Can't find it on Colin Cooke's site. :huh:

It's here Jon

1 minute ago, 1949threepence said:

It's here Jon

Thanks Mike.

Who graded the Crocker F175 as Fine then? :o

33 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Who graded the Crocker F175 as Fine then? :o

I suppose either Lee or Neil at the time. But fine is way too optimistic for that coin.  

When was the sale Mike? Some of those prices were incredible - £500 for the F164a that looks fire damaged or something? Someone must have really wanted that one. :o

2 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

When was the sale Mike? Some of those prices were incredible - £500 for the F164a that looks fire damaged or something? Someone must have really wanted that one. :o

September 2009 Jon, so not that far off 10 years ago. 

£500 was a bit OTT for that one. I like the way they describe it as "buckled", like a bike wheel......or is it merely "out of true"?

• Like 1

10 years ago the F164A was thought to be much rarer than it's proved to be, as quite a few have come to market in that time.

Even so Richard, that one's a bit of a horror. 

I'm convinced that this is another.  

• Haha 1