British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
seuk

Ribe – Northumbria- a connection?

In August last year about 250 coins from early 9ct Ribe was found close to the town. The coins are extremely well-preserved except for a few which has been damaged by plowing. Except for 4 coins all are of the ‘face/stag’ type which is believed to date from around 820 AD though they may possibly be slightly earlier.

https://sydvestjyskemuseer.wordpress.com/2018/10/24/damhus-skatten-en-stor-skat-af-ribe-moenter-fra-800-tallet-ofret-til-mosens-guder/ (in Danish - but with nice coin pictures)

To anyone familiar with the series X (wodan/monster) sceatta it’s oblivious to see the connection to this coinage which are also believed to have been produced in Ribe. Excavations in Ribe have shown that the two coins replace each other in the finds layers of the early 9ct. Hence the series wodan/monster coinage ends its 100 year circulation and is replaced by the face/stag coinage at that time.

I’ve been wondering why the reverse doesn’t continues the ‘monster’ design (which looks more like a lying horse) but change it to a stag. The horse-monster does return, but at a later time.

The only other coinage of that era which I know is using (what sometimes appears to be) a stag is the Northumbrian 8ct sceattas (mainly of Eadberht 737-758). A few of these even has some of the same ‘field marks’ – a sun(?) above and a triquetra below.
eadberht_ribe.thumb.jpg.76d299ed7f230f16a4eecf6865c8a950.jpg

So the question is; could there be a connection between the two - An inspiration or a more direct link? I know connections to Northumbria is mentioned in the early legends of Danish kings but most are vague and some (like the tales of Regnar Lodbrog) of a later date than considered here.

Any thoughts?

The stylistic connection is obvious, but with different geographical locations for the various designs, that begs the question whether the stag or horse is a representation of the animal shown, or an allegorical portrayal of a deity. eg. The sun (or moon?) could be indicative of a heavenly design, such as the stag representing the pincers of the constellation Scorpio.

I know very little about Viking legends, so what is the significance of the triquetra? Does it represent a comet? If a sun or moon applies, then a comet is unlikely to be far behind, and that just leaves the animal. Any gods known to be represented by a horse or stag? Just thinking out loud.

stag_examples.thumb.jpg.792f10b941aacdd0eb493d31ce504e84.jpg
As far I understand Northumbrian at the time of Eadberht was solid Christian and when the triquetra appears it may be thought of as a symbol of the trinity and the sun could be Christ or God. If the stag or more neutral – the Quadruped is a symbol for Northumbria then it must have a different meaning on the Ribe coins. But if it’s a symbol of the ruling family there could be a connection. Coins of Aethelwald Moll, who may have been without ties to the royal family, doesn’t use the ‘stag’ but his son Aethelred I does! I understand that there should be some York coins of the Viking period also picturing the stag but so far I haven’t been able to locate any photos of these.

What the triquetra/valknut symbolized in pagan times seems very uncertain. But as Ribe was an important trade centre the symbols on the coins may have been chosen carefully so people of both religions could accept them.

The motive with the stag also appears on a rare coin of Cnut almost as a 200 anniversary of the original design. It is not the exact same design as the face/stag coin but taken from another contemporary coin – the ship/stag type which as it is smaller and lighter could perhaps be a half penny.
knud-ribe.jpg.c2bcb2d348dd6cffa80b65aa0ae69ca6.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting, this looks like a brand new type.  And a large hoard to boot

Northumbrian coins can be linked to other Saxon coins as well, as well as other coins of the contemporary 8th-9th century.

Here is a coin of Aethelred II of Northumbria by the moneyer Leofthegn, featuring a hound, compared with a series K sceat of Kent from nearly 100 years before.  The "hound" creature is very similar on the two coins.

styca.jpg

sceat.jpg

• Like 1

I'll use this topic to welcome you NAP.

Hope you hang around.:)

4 hours ago, Peter said:

I'll use this topic to welcome you NAP.

Hope you hang around.:)

Thanks!

Many sceattas have a horse like reverse. I wonder were the inspiration for the reverse design of the series x came from - perhaps from earlier English sceattas?. The obverse seems to originate from the Byzantine coins of Justinian I.

serie-x.jpg.a6e85a44e061eba6ad3bda27b654469d.jpg

• Like 1